Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

Fire chases residents from their apartments

  • Print

An apartment block on south Osborne Street at Morley Avenue was evacuated Wednesday afternoon after a kitchen fire destroyed a third-floor suite and spread to the building's roof.

Residents of some 16 suites were unharmed but were left scrambling to find temporary homes. However, "an unknown" number of cats died in the smoke-filled rooms, fire department officials reported.

A handful of residents were standing on Morley as firefighters were in the final stages of dousing the blaze around 6 p.m., waiting to see when they could check on the condition of their pets inside. At least one cat was brought out of the building and handed to a relieved resident.

However, "there were several pets that died," a fire department spokesman said later on Wednesday night. "Probably smoke inhalation. It doesn't take much if there's nowhere to go. That smoke can get in everywhere."

Resident Freya Settee managed to grab her purse and cat quickly after the fire alarm was triggered around 4:30 p.m.

"I just thought it was a little kitchen fire," Settee said.

"I didn't think it would end up burning the whole suite."

Several fire crews responded and closed down Osborne in the peak of rush hour. Platoon chief Ted Kuryluk said crews managed to contain the blaze to the roof area but the cost of the damage is "totally unknown."

Witnesses said the fire started when a tenant left something on the stove unattended. Attempts by neighbouring residents to douse the fire were in vain, said building caretaker Cyril Sinclair.

"They tried," he said, "but it was too much. The kitchen was already up."

Smoke and water damage were extensive. Residents were told not to enter the building for at least 24 hours.

"I hope it's still livable and my stuff isn't ruined," Settee said, standing on the street. "Because I won't have anywhere to live... me or my cat."

Another resident, Brad Proulx, lives in the apartment just below the suite that caught fire. He was watching as the flood of water from the hoses above sprayed into his second-storey residence.

"I've lost everything, with the amount of water that went through," said Proulx, who had no insurance.

randy.turner@freepress.mb.ca

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition May 22, 2014 B2

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

How Winnipeg's slow growth saved the Exchange District

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • A goose cools off Thursday in water at Omands Creek Park-See Bryksa 30 day goose challenge- Day 25– June 21, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • A squirrel enjoys the morning sunshine next to the duck pond in Assiniboine Park Wednesday– June 27, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Do you think Judy Wasylycia-Leis will greatly benefit from the endorsement by Winnipeg's firefighters?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google