Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 2/11/2012 (1637 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
Father back in city, charged
THE man accused of abducting his children four years ago and fleeing to Mexico is back in Winnipeg.
Winnipeg police said Kevin Maryk arrived in the city Thursday, escorted by officers from the Winnipeg Police Service missing persons unit.
Maryk has been formally charged with two counts of abduction and two counts of conspiracy to commit abduction.
The Maryk children, Abby and Dominic, disappeared while on a vacation with their father in August 2008.
They were found safe in late May at a home in a suburb of Guadalajara, Mexico. Police began extradition procedures against Maryk following his arrest.
Kevin Maryk and the children's mother, Emily Cablek, were involved in a custody dispute before their disappearance.
Several other people have also been charged for playing a role in the children's abduction.
There is an outstanding arrest warrant for Maryk's nephew, Cody McKay.
McKay's parents, Darlene and Bradley McKay, have also been charged for their alleged involvement in the abductions.
Council mulls cash for Davis Cup
CITY council will consider contributing funding for the Davis Cup.
Winnipeg is competing against Calgary and Vancouver in a bid to host the event in February when Canada will take on Spain in a best-of-five tennis series that is part of the 112-year-old global competition.
Council's executive policy committee will consider a report regarding funding for the Davis Cup. A spokeswoman from Mayor Sam Katz's office said the tournament is a "marquee event" and EPC will discuss whether the city will be able to participate.
Last month, True North Sports & Entertainment and Tennis Manitoba launched a ticket sale deposit and social media campaign in support of Winnipeg's bid to host the event. They received close to 2,400 $25 ticket deposits from sports fans.
A decision on the successful bid is expected by the end of next week.
Police seek $1.2M for overtime
WINNIPEG police plan to ask the city to spend an additional $1.2 million to cover overtime expenses from court proceedings and traffic enforcement.
An administrative report released Friday said police officers continue to spend significant time in court to attend proceedings, resulting in overtime. Additional officers have also been focused on improving traffic safety and 10 full-time officers are dedicated to traffic enforcement. The report said traditional traffic enforcement is part of every officer's daily duty, but has "not been enough."
The police service has offered voluntary enforcement days as overtime, particularly during the summer when the need is greatest.
Police forecast their overtime is over budget by $1.2-million in 2012. The report said the cost has been offset by $630,000 in savings in salaries and benefit budgets.
Council's finance committee will review the request for additional funds at a meeting next week.
Shots fired on Sherbrook Street
SHOTS were fired at a home in the 400 block of Sherbrook Street early Friday morning.
Winnipeg police said nobody was injured in the drive-by shooting, which occurred around 3:30 a.m. There are no suspects and no arrests have been made. The investigation continues.