Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 9/4/2013 (1120 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
Katz's woes not over?
IT appears Winnipeg Mayor Sam Katz will have to clear one more legal hurdle to remain in office.
Local restaurant owner Joe Chan confirmed Tuesday he is planning to file an appeal of his conflict-of-interest case against Katz, which was thrown out of court last week. Chan has until early May to formally file the paperwork, and a Manitoba Court of Appeal hearing would likely be set several months down the road.
A loss could prove costly for Chan, who has already been ordered to pay $10,000 of the mayor's legal fees stemming from his failed bid to have him removed.
Queen's Bench Justice Brenda Keyser ruled last Friday the Manitoba Municipal Conflict of Interest Act didn't apply to a disputed Christmas party that was the focus of the hearing.
The December 2010 bash was held at Hu's Asian Bistro on Ellice Avenue. It was hosted by Katz's office and involved city councillors and department heads. The bill for the event, paid for with taxpayer funds, was $3,084.35. The mayor owned the restaurant at the time.
Robbers pose as police
WINNIPEG police are cautioning the public about robbery suspects in central Winnipeg who are posing as undercover police officers.
In the past two weeks, there have been several strong-arm robberies during which victims were confronted by one or two suspects who demanded money and/or property.
"During some of these occasions, my understanding is at least three of these occasions, the suspects were identifying themselves as undercover police officers," Const. Jason Michalyshen said Tuesday.
"Are they doing that to gain some sort or compliance, put the person at ease initially, catch them off-guard? I don't know what their motivation is. They're not providing any kind of identification or wearing a uniform or anything like that. They are acknowledging they are undercover police officers, and certainly is a situation that is concerning to us," Michalyshen said.
The suspects are described as Causcasian males in their 20s, with medium builds and weighing approximately 160 to 180 pounds.
The victims were not injured.
Anyone approached in this fashion or who has information on previous incidents is asked to call the Division 11 Crime Unit at 204-986-6668 or Crime Stoppers at 204-786-TIPS (8477).
Manslaughter charge laid
CHARGES have been upgraded following the recent death of a 44-year-old Winnipeg man.
Police said Harvey Flett was stabbed about 2 a.m. on March 31 inside a home in the 100 block of Martha Street after a dispute with another man. He was rushed to hospital in critical condition but has since died of his injuries.
Timothy Sanderson, originally facing assault charges, is now facing a manslaughter charge.