Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Posted: 07/26/2013 1:00 AM
ACCUSED serial killer Shawn Cameron Lamb made a surprise appearance in court Thursday, opting for trial in Queen's Bench for the deaths of Lorna Blacksmith and Carolyn Sinclair.
No date was set for trial but Lamb's lawyer hinted he might plead guilty.
When talking to reporters, Martin Glazer said the move eliminates the need for witnesses to testify at a preliminary hearing and added they might not have to testify at the trial.
Lamb is charged with three counts of second-degree murder.
Glazer said Lamb has been custody for 14 months since his arrest in June 2012, adding it was time to get the case against his client moving.
"I have made a procedural move that will expedite Shawn Lamb's day in court," Glazer said in a brief statement to reporters following court.
"It's in Shawn Lamb's best interests and in the interest of justice."
Lamb appeared briefly in court, wearing a grey T-shirt and sweatpants, his hair long and straggly, and sporting a day's growth of facial hair.
Lamb told the court he agreed with the motions to move the murder cases directly to trial.
On the third murder, of Tanya Nepinak, Glazer said that charge remains in provincial court, adjourned to Oct. 25 along with several other charges, including those for sexual assault.
A young woman, who last week was on the verge of withdrawing guilty pleas to several counts of fraud, told court Thursday she no longer wants a trial.
Kaela Leigh Perry, 27, re-affirmed the guilty pleas she made July 17 to six counts of fraud and conspiracy.
Justice Chris Martin gave Perry a week to review her decision.
Perry was one of dozens arrested in a massive investigation into what was described as the largest vehicle-insurance fraud scheme in the province's history.
Between 2005 and 2009, high-end luxury cars were brought in from Ontario, where their odometers would be rolled back and then sales arranged to individuals who participated in staging phony accidents and thefts.
Manitoba Public Insurance claimed to have lost more than $800,000 to the scheme.
Perry's sentencing is expected to take place sometime in the fall.
She will be expected to make restitution for her involvement in the offences, about $92,000.
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition July 26, 2013 B3
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
Police at stabbing near Elmwood High School
Former MPI CEO's $50-K contract an 'insurance policy': Guimond
Steeves' claims on North Dakota road repair incorrect
Public input sought on long-term plan for airport
Ebola 'risk to Canadians is very low'
Minister orders probe into agencies dealing with at-risk kids
Man sought in connection with two bank robberies
Shoppers flock to Polo Park for a look at expansion, new stores
RCMP revokes support for anti-terrorist handbook
Showers expected this afternoon
Missing man, 61, believed headed to Kenora when last seen
Public will have to wait on Phoenix report action plan
School division proposes e-cigarette ban
For sale: historic marsh property
Overhaul child-welfare plan: chiefs
Veteran RCMP officer charged
Suspect was a Scouts leader
Mayoral Race Roundup
Hunger can hit all sorts of homes
Hundreds of speeding tickets quashed over errors by police
Deficit balloons despite extra cash
Embarrassment runs in family
Fighting the virus from the front lines