Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 11/8/2014 (686 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
Ford gets bomb threat
TORONTO -- Police were dispatched to Toronto city hall Monday after Mayor Rob Ford said a threat was made to bomb the building unless he resigned, but no evacuation was ordered.
Toronto police spokesman Const. David Hopkinson said officers were sent to the building after city hall security informed them of the threat that morning.
Hopkinson said the building was not being evacuated and couldn't confirm whether a bomb sweep had been done.
Ford announced the bomb threat to reporters. He said the email was sent to his brother, Coun. Doug Ford, Sunday night.
The mayor held up a copy the typo-ridden note, which says there has been "chaos" since Ford returned from rehab in late June.
"He has 12 hours to vacate otherwise city hall will blow. I have already set up explosive around."
Court OK's extradition
EDMONTON -- The Alberta Court of Appeal has ruled an Edmonton man should be extradited to the United States to face terrorism and murder charges.
Sayfildin Tahir Sharif is accused of murder and supporting a terrorist group that took part in suicide bombings in his native Iraq.
The Americans allege Sharif worked from Edmonton to help a Tunisian man enter Iraq in 2009 and detonate a truck filled with explosives at a military checkpoint, killing five U.S. soldiers.
Defence lawyers had argued before the Appeal Court RCMP didn't allow Sharif access to a lawyer or interpreter the day of his arrest, and transcripts of police interviews show he didn't understand what was going on.
They also said allegations against their client came from three people -- including his brother -- who were tortured by investigators in Iraq.
HONOLULU -- A container ship crew on Monday rescued three people who were stranded in a sailboat off the Hawaiian islands for about 24 hours as hurricane Julio battered their vessel with giant waves and high winds that ripped off one of its hatches.
The sailors made it onto the container ship at about 8 a.m., Coast Guard Chief Warrant Officer Gene Maestas said. They were in good condition, he said.
The three people got into trouble while sailing the 13-metre Walkabout from California to Hawaii, Maestas said. The Coast Guard said it received their message for help Sunday morning after the boat became disabled and took on water.
The sailboat was stranded in nine-metre seas and winds of up to 185 km/h, the agency said. One of its hatches blew away and on-board pumps couldn't keep up with the flooding. Gusts also carried the vessel's life raft overboard.
-- from the news services