Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Posted: 05/24/2013 1:00 AM | Comments: 0
Last Modified: 05/28/2013 3:51 PM | Updates
THE Manitoba Jockey Club is continuing its fight for survival, launching civil actions against the Selinger government, Finance Minister Stan Struthers and the Red River Exhibition Association for $350 million. The jockey club is also seeking another $15 million from the Red River Ex and its CEO, Garth Rogerson.
The lawsuit follows a successful court move earlier this month to get an injunction ordering the province to release funds to Assiniboia Downs raised through a levy on wagering at the track. However, the court dismissed a request to block the province from passing a law directing Manitoba Lotteries Corporation to break its VLT contract with the jockey club.
Jockey club lawyer Jeff Rath said the civil suit was taken on the advice of Justice Robert Dewar -- who issued the order and injunction against the province -- to take civil action against the province if it believed the province was interfering with the lotteries contract.
The provincial government announced in its budget speech last month it would redirect millions of dollars provided annually to Assiniboia Downs with legislation to break the VLT contract between Manitoba Lotteries and the jockey club, allowing it to remove the VLTs at the Downs and place them elsewhere. The government also plans to amend existing legislation that would effectively redirect several million dollars collected annually on wagering at the track and use it for things such as health care and education.
The jockey club alleges Struthers is conspiring with the Red River Ex to drive the jockey club into bankruptcy, allowing the Ex to take over Assiniboia Downs.
Statements of defence have not been filed.
The jockey club has also asked the RCMP to investigate the actions of Struthers and the Red River Ex.
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition May 24, 2013 A8
Updated on Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 3:51 PM CDT: Tweaks background of case.
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories? Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
Boy who gave up Jets stick gets surprise gift
Province cuts ties with Osborne House board
Steinbach man allegedly assaults RCMP officer
Plane towed to terminal after mechanical issue reported
Trio facing drug charges in Steinbach
Appeals of first-degree murder convictions dismissed
Man sentenced to 6 months in jail for prolonged domestic attack
Bowman says city looking at 'efficiencies' to cut pool costs
Selinger claims 'vast majority' of delegates in leadership race
Bowman defends tax hikes as strategic investments
Downtown to get off-leash dog park
Manitoba Museum to get $5.3-M expansion
Fewer Manitobans add to RRSPs: BMO
Reducing business tax will spur growth: Bowman
Agassiz chalet dismantled and burned
Stadium owner to sue architect, builder over water drainage, insulation problems
Four kids taken to hospital as precaution after school bus crash
Twain to play MTS Centre in June
Charges for man after Beausejour store assault
Unwanted guest -- winter -- lingers
Upgraded traffic system to be up and running in 2016
Not a hidden tax hike: mayor
Singles night at Safeway causes a stir on Twitter
No early release for ex-officer
Frigid today, but warm weekend on the way
'Old-style politics' despite a promise
Surprise plea in Project Distress
Police probe boy's death on reserve as a homicide
BUDGET 2015: Highlights from the City of Winnipeg's 2015 spending blueprint
Voters' honeymoon period still in effect for new mayor, poll indicates
Panhandler sends message with food in café
Free Press journalist receives honourable mention for coverage of Brian Sinclair inquest