Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Posted: 01/10/2013 1:00 AM | Comments: 0
GASTON Genaille set a stranger on fire because he wouldn't give him a cigarette -- then stood by munching on doughnuts as the victim slowly burned to death.
Disturbing new facts about the September 2010 attack that made headlines across the country were presented to a Winnipeg courtroom Wednesday.
Genaille, 22, was given a life sentence with no chance of parole for at least 10 years after pleading guilty to second-degree murder. Gerald Dumas, 47, suffered serious burns to much of his body after being doused in a flammable substance and set ablaze while walking in an alley behind 544 Selkirk Ave. He was rushed to hospital in critical condition and died 17 days later.
"His actions were shockingly evil," Crown attorney Mary Goska told court during Wednesday's sentencing hearing.
Genaille had been strolling through the North End when he came across Dumas and asked him for a cigarette, court was told. When Dumas didn't provide one, Genaille shoved him to the ground, rummaged through his pockets and found a bottle containing a flammable substance.
Genaille poured the liquid on Dumas's head and face, took out a lighter and ignited it. He stood by as his victim was consumed by flames, even popping into a nearby store to purchase doughnuts and then doubling back past Dumas when he was still on fire.
"He didn't do anything to try to put the flames out or to try to help Mr. Dumas in any way," said Goska. "In fact, he walked away, as one officer put it, 'cool as a cucumber.' "
Police arrived within five minutes and used a fire extinguisher on Dumas, but it was too late to save him from the massive burns and internal injuries he suffered.
Genaille admitted to the attack to several others that night and was promptly arrested. Video surveillance in the area captured much of it on tape, court was told.
Dumas was described by family and friends as a "gentle giant" who was randomly attacked after he went to buy beer.
Genaille was on probation at the time for a sexual assault conviction. He also comes from a troubled background that his lawyer presented to court.
In exchange for his guilty plea, which spared the need for a trial, the Crown agreed not to seek increased parole eligibility against Genaille. However, it will be up to the parole board to decide when, or if, he is ever released.
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition January 10, 2013 A6
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
Winnipeg mom and daughter safe following quake, city man confirms
Vigil held in memory of homeless men
Winnipeg woman in Nepal safe after earthquake
Sunny and warm Sunday for Winnipeg, with possible showers on Monday
Brandon man hurt in hit-and-run
Manitoba's most talented amateur athletes and supporters lauded at Night of Champions gala
City cops investigate car crash
Two possible homicides downtown
Fort Richmond students shine at science symposium
Lost balloon tracked down
Nepalese community stunned
Province extends balanced-budget deadline
Love's life A TRAGIC TUNE
Here are seven things to do in Winnipeg this week
Unmasking creativity in goalie garb
The Opening Sky takes Book of the Year honour
Police seeking a person of interest in killings targeting the homeless community
Selinger silent on builder’s rush job claim
Cloud Punchers recover U of W weather balloon
Police say downtown death of elderly man was homicide
Man in hospital after overnight Windsor Park crash
Turbulence at the track
High of 13 on Saturday, warmer on Sunday
Nerds turn back the clock
Where are they...
You're all invited to a kick-off party
Cash for nursing students in need
PM: I'm Canada's crime fighter
Merger hijacked by anti-gay members
Beware: Super Crotchety Old Geezer is watching you
Balanced budget off the table until 2018: NDP
In conversation with Margaret Trudeau
Fowl surprise at border crossing
Une famille qui fait équipe pour des résultats en or
Demand for French overwhelming LRSD
Willis guilty of first-degree murder