Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

Little boy left cold, crying outside locked daycare

  • Print
A Winnipeg woman says she, her husband and their three-year-old son were left traumatized after the child was locked outside his daycare late last month.

The child spent at least half an hour outside in the cold, his mother says. The University of Manitoba daycare apparently didn't know he was missing until the couple came to pick him up.

The parents don't want their names used because he's a full-time university student and is afraid there may be repercussions. A daycare employee confirmed the incident.

"We saw that there was a child outside but we thought there was a teacher with him," says the mother. "We didn't know it was (our son) because he looked bigger. When we swung into the parking lot we couldn't see him anymore. We thought he'd gone inside."

The couple went inside and downstairs to claim their child.

All the other children were out of their snowsuits. The dad picked up his son's bag. His wife chatted with one of the daycare workers.

"He's potty training so we talked about that. She was telling me about his day. I finally asked where he was."

The teacher told the mom her son was in the washroom with another teacher.

A few minutes later, she decided to hurry him along.

"I asked the other teacher where he was. She said, 'Oh, he's not in here.' "

About 10 minutes had passed since the parents arrived at the daycare. The worried mother dashed back to the first room and quickly checked to see if her son was inside a play structure. She didn't find him.

Panicking, the couple ran outside.

"He was outside at the top of the stairs. The look on his face was awful. He was cold and he'd been crying."

The little boy had soiled himself, either before the rest of the kids were taken back inside or while he was staring at a locked door, unable to get in.

The father went back into the daycare to collect his son's belongings. He blew up at staff, demanding to know how a small child could go missing.

"There are three teachers and only 11 kids. Why wouldn't someone notice?"

She points out her son was in an open area beside a parking lot. Anyone could have taken him, she says.

"This is not rocket science. They count heads, even in high schools. If 11 go out, 11 should come back in."

The couple, who both work at Health Sciences Centre, only needed daycare two days a week. Now that they've pulled the boy from the daycare, they're relying on family to help look after their son.

She'd love to find another safe and affordable daycare but simply doesn't think there's licensed space available.

"It's been really hard on (her son). It's been hard on all of us. My mom and my mother-in-law couldn't sleep. They couldn't stop thinking about what could have happened."

It's been hardest on the child, who had just celebrated his third birthday.

"I can see a change in him," says his mom.

"He thought they'd locked him outside on purpose. He still won't let me out of his sight."

The daycare sent a notice home to parents saying they'd be changing their roll-call process. That pleases the mom but it doesn't stop her obsession with what might have happened.

"Maybe it's because I'm a first-time mother. What if we hadn't shown up for him at 3:30? What if we'd waited until 5:30 when the daycare closes? He would have been outside for another two hours."

The boy was left outside, cold, wet and miserable for no fewer than 30 minutes, possibly longer.

That was a serious staff mistake, one that is assuredly being addressed.

What that review process involves is unknown since staff declined to discuss the matter.

The mother is left wondering how seriously this incident is being taken.

I'm left wondering why it seems three trained daycare staff members can't count to 11.

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition February 4, 2010 A3

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes


  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.


Make text: Larger | Smaller


Jets vs. Ducks Game 2 promo

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • A Great Horned Owl that was caught up in some soccer nets in Shamrock Park in Southdale on November 16th was rehabilitated and returned to the the city park behind Shamrock School and released this afternoon. Sequence of the release. December 4, 2012  BORIS MINKEVICH / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
  • A gosling stares near water at Omands Creek Park-See Bryksa 30 day goose challenge- Day 25– June 21, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

View More Gallery Photos

About Lindor Reynolds

National Newspaper Award winner Lindor Reynolds began work at the Free Press as a 17-year-old proofreader. It was a rough introduction to the news business.

Many years later, armed with a university education and a portfolio of published work, she was hired as a Free Press columnist. During her 20-plus years on the job she wrote for every section in the paper, with the exception of Business -- though she joked she'd get around to them some day.

Sadly, that day will never come. Lindor died in October 2014 after a 15-month battle with brain cancer.

Lindor received considerable recognition for her writing. Her awards include the Will Rogers Humanitarian Award, the National Society of Newspaper Columnists’ general interest award and the North American Travel Journalists Association top prize.

Her work on Internet luring led to an amendment to the Criminal Code of Canada and her coverage of the child welfare system prompted a change to Manitoba Child and Family Services Act to make the safety of children paramount.

She earned three citations of merit for the Michener Award for Meritorious Public Service in Journalism and was awarded a Distinguished Alumni commendation from the University of Winnipeg. Lindor was also named a YMCA/YWCA  Woman of Distinction.

Reynolds was 56. She is survived by a husband, mother, a daughter and son-in-law and three stepdaughters.

The Free Press has published an ebook celebrating the best of Lindor's work. It's available in the Winnipeg Free Press Store; all proceeds will be donated through our Miracle on Mountain charity to the Christmas Cheer Board.


Do you agree with the sale of the Canadian Wheat Board to foreign companies?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google