Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

Looking beyond the Taser frenzy

To me, inquest shows police are clearly not a bunch of 'Quick-Draw McGraws'

  • Print
Michael Langan


Michael Langan

When will we learn?

That question kept coming back to me last week while I took in the inquest into the July 2008 death of a Winnipeg teen hit with a Taser by a Winnipeg police constable.

It's been instructive for me — as a fact-finding process should be.

I was there at the William Avenue scene as the Free Press police reporter at the time. I arrived within minutes of Michael Langan being shocked by an officer in a back lane.

I remember the summer day distinctly. It was very hot and glaringly sunny. It was around rush hour.

And despite the urgency of what had just happened, my observations of the police response to the incident (the scene was taped off at a distance of about a half-block) appeared to be calm, orderly and controlled, just like virtually all others I've been to over the years.

The backstory of how Langan wound up there emerged pretty quickly. Langan was suspected of breaking into a vehicle at a business not too far from the scene and was followed by employees of the business, and police were flagged down to try to locate him.

I recall the police confirmed what happened pretty quickly.

Spokeswoman Const. Jacqueline Chaput met with reporters nearby within a couple of hours.

It was during the 6 p.m. suppertime newscasts. Two reporters from competing TV outlets went live, barking frantically over each other after Chaput finished speaking. There was a near-panic to get information out to the public.

This juxtaposition will always stay with me: At the actual scene of Langan's death, there was a bureaucratic calm; on its outskirts, a veritable frenzy.

That intensity would continue for days to come, despite considerable efforts by the Winnipeg Police Service to communicate appropriate facts, given there was an ongoing investigation by the homicide unit that would be scrutinized by an outside police service.

The police chief, then Keith McCaskill, made himself available to answer media questions about police accountability, as was a constable from the officer safety unit to explain police use of force, why Tasers are used and tactical procedures and protocol.

As if this weren't enough of an indication of how seriously the WPS took the incident, annual statistics on Taser use were provided for the public's scrutiny. They showed the weapons were most often simply used as a coercive device (just shown to a suspect) and not fired.

The seconds-long (I stress this) encounter Langan had with police that fateful day has always remained, at root, extremely simple.

Uniformed patrol officers rolled up on a theft suspect they knew nothing about.

He refused to drop a knife he was brandishing after they demanded he do so several times.

He was shocked by a Taser in response, fell to the ground and died.

It's sad, tragic and horrible that this happened at all. Yet the scrutiny and criticism about police conduct continued unabated for weeks.

Did police do enough to try to "de-escalate" the situation before firing the stun gun at Langan?

Could officers have subdued him in another way that would have kept him alive?

Also of note: Just two days after Langan's death, the WPS was defending itself against allegations the officers involved had somehow racially profiled the teen.

In addition, the Manitoba Metis Federation accused the officers directly involved of having a "Quick-Draw McGraw" mentality.

(I didn't see any representatives of the MMF at the inquest hearings, by the way, just a few reporters dropping in from time to time, along with members of Langan's still-grieving family and supporters and lawyers.)

Through the testimony presented, a few things have become clear to me.

One, despite the length of time it's taken to have a full airing of the facts, I'm grateful it's happening. I'm hoping Langan's family can find some small measure of comfort in finally hearing the sad details, as counterintuitive as that may sound.

Two, I don't see how anyone could conclude there was anything wrong with how Consts. Michael Temple and Ryan Naismith acted that day, given what they encountered and the limited information they had to go on.

Any notion they targeted the 17-year-old because of his ethnicity is absurd.

One must always remember, the Taser was meant to incapacitate Langan. They couldn't have known the weapon would somehow end up being implicated in his death.

Given the situation, I believe restraint was shown. The officers had the legal authority to shoot Langan with their handguns, but didn't.

And finally -- and I mean this with all due respect: No officer goes out on his or her shift hoping to be embroiled in something like this.

When will we learn?

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition April 13, 2014 A1

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes


  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.


Make text: Larger | Smaller


Total Body Tune-Up: Farmer's Carry

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • Marc Gallant / Winnipeg Free Press.  Local/Standup- Morning Fog. Horse prances in field by McPhillips Road, north of Winnipeg. 060605.
  • A gosling stares near water at Omands Creek Park-See Bryksa 30 day goose challenge- Day 25– June 21, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

View More Gallery Photos


Do you agree with the sale of the Canadian Wheat Board to foreign companies?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google