Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 22/2/2013 (1526 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
WINNIPEG police have made a long-awaited arrest following a deadly gangland-style shooting inside a popular eatery.
Devin Kingsley Hall, 26, was arrested near the Polo Park shopping centre Thursday morning and linked to the September 2012 attack at the Salisbury House on Pembina Highway.
Hall has been charged with first-degree murder, attempted murder, and more than a dozen firearms offences. He remained in custody Friday.
The first-degree charge indicates justice officials believe the killing was cold-blooded.
A conviction carries a mandatory sentence of life in prison with no chance of parole for at least 25 years.
A gunman shot two men inside the restaurant on Sept. 27 at about 3 a.m. Both were rushed to hospital. Jeffrey Michael Lau, 23, later died. The second man was listed at the time in stable condition.
Court documents obtained by the Free Press Friday show Hall is no stranger to police. At the time of the killing, Hall was free on bail for drug and property-crime offences that occurred between October 2011 and March 2012.
Those allegations remain before the courts and Hall is presumed innocent.
Police previously suggested Lau's death was part of a drug turf war between rival factions.
Lau's mother, Cathie Lau, has told the Free Press she believes her son was first marked for death in July 2012 when he and another friend -- one who would also be with him the night he was killed -- were run down by a hit-and-run driver in the parking lot of an Osborne Village hotel.
Lau suffered head and hand injuries and was initially listed in critical condition.
No arrests were ever made, the family said.
Police have declined to comment on any potential link between the incidents.
Police said Hall's arrest was made after a lengthy investigation by the homicide unit, which remains ongoing.