Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

Man who falsely accused police to apologize

  • Print

THE young man who falsely accused two Winnipeg police officers of taking him on a "starlight" tour two years ago is expected to make a public apology this morning.

The Winnipeg Police Association said Evan Maud will issue an apology for his actions at the Broadway offices of Onashowewin at 10 a.m.

However, Onashowewin, an agency that operates an aboriginal restorative-justice program, wouldn't confirm the apology was to take place.

Evan Maud made national headlines when he claimed in early December 2010 that two officers drove him to the city's outskirts late at night, stripped him of his coat and left him there to walk back to the city. Maud also claimed he was kicked off a Winnipeg Transit bus when he made it to the city.

But the allegations quickly unravelled when global-positioning-system devices on the officers' vehicle showed it never left the city.

Further proof came from video surveillance from two Winnipeg Transit buses, which showed Maud on the buses when he was supposed to have been walking in the freezing cold. They also showed he was never kicked off.

Maud was charged with mischief for making a false report.

Winnipeg Police Association president Mike Sutherland said Maud had been involved in a mediation process, adding he was told more than a week ago that the apology would take place this morning.

Sutherland said since the false allegations received so much media attention, the WPA wanted to ensure the apology received equal recognition by announcing what they had been told.

"We're not looking for a pound of flesh," Sutherland said. "But (the apology) is the least he (Maud) can do."

Sutherland said a civil suit the WPA had prepared against Maud was put on hold, adding whether it resumes will depend on the apology and whether it is sincere.

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition February 21, 2013 A3

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

The Winnipeg Free Press is not accepting comments on this story.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

The Whiteboard - Jets' 5-on-3 penalty kill

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • Two baby tigers were unveiled at the Assiniboine Park Zoo this morning, October 3rd, 2011. (TREVOR HAGAN/WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • Two baby tigers were unveiled at the Assiniboine Park Zoo this morning, October 3rd, 2011. (TREVOR HAGAN/WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Will you watch The Interview?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google