Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 30/7/2014 (666 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
A man who killed his adoptive mother and five-year-old sister seven years ago has been granted bail.
The man, 21, appeared in a Winnipeg courtroom Tuesday in relation to a January assault at the Headingley Correctional Centre. He is slated to go to trial Sept. 5, said his Winnipeg defence attorney, Sarah Inness.
Inness said details of the bail hearing are protected by a publication ban and she would not specify the nature of the bail conditions.
The bail hearing came just days after he completed his sentence for the slayings -- four years in jail followed by three years of supervision in the community, the maximum sentence under the Youth Criminal Justice Act.
Tuesday's bail hearing was in regard to a separate crime he allegedly committed while in jail, and therefore was handled in Winnipeg, where the assault charges were laid.
At age 14, he shot and killed his 43-year-old adoptive mother and five-year-old sister, who was also adopted, in the family's St. Lazare home on Aug. 24, 2007.
The youth later pleaded guilty to two counts of second-degree murder.
The plan set out last week in Brandon court is for the man -- once assessed as a high risk to reoffend violently -- to live at a highly supervised forensic psychological-services home in Winnipeg that is staffed around the clock.
He must continue to work with a psychologist and see a youth worker regularly.
Also included in the conditions were orders the offender have no weapons, no contact with his slain mother's family and he not go to St. Lazare or Brandon, where many of the victims' relatives live.
The 21-year-old can't be named because he was sentenced as a youth.
-- Brandon Sun