Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

Murder charge comforts family

Chiefs renew call for inquiry into slain, missing women after arrest in cold case

  • Print

A long-awaited arrest in a Winnipeg cold case has sparked new calls for a national inquiry into slain and missing women.

Police announced Monday Traigo Andretti, 38, is charged with second-degree murder for the September 2006 death of Myrna Letandre.

Letandre was 37 when she vanished. Her name was added to the list of 28 missing and murdered Manitoba women being investigated by Project Devote, an RCMP-Winnipeg police task force, that began in 2009.

Police got a major break in the case in May 2013 after Andretti -- a former Winnipeg resident -- was arrested in British Columbia and accused of killing and dismembering his wife, Jennifer McPherson, on a West Coast island.

While questioning Andretti about that homicide, B.C. investigators received information about the Letandre case that was forwarded to their Manitoba colleagues. That triggered an extensive search of a Lorne Avenue home in Point Douglas, where Letandre's remains were discovered.

"I want closure for our family. But I also wish the other missing and murdered women would get justice," Sue Caribou, a relative of Letandre's, told the Free Press on Monday.

Manitoba Keewatinowi Okimakanak Grand Chief David Harper was at the RCMP news conference and applauded police for solving "one piece of the puzzle." But he noted a recent report shows there have been more than 1,100 missing and murdered women cases in Canada since 1980.

"This does send a message of hope," said Harper. But he said a "further fact-finding mission" in the form of a thorough public review is still required.

"Where else in the world are there over 1,000 women missing?" Harper asked.

"We heard of the missing schoolgirls in Africa and there was a public outcry. Here we have over 1,000 and still no call for a missing and murdered women national inquiry."

Dennis Whitebird of the Assembly Manitoba Chiefs also attended the news conference Monday and agreed with Harper. He was critical of police for allegedly not keeping his organization informed or involved in the investigation.

Letandre's relatives have expressed frustration in the past at what they felt was a slow-moving process. But investigators defended their work Monday, saying it was a sensitive case that required plenty of legwork.

They acknowledged the case picked up steam when Andretti pleaded guilty in April to first-degree murder in McPherson's death. He was given an automatic life sentence with no chance of parole for 25 years.

Project Devote investigators moved in to complete their investigation of Letandre's death.

Andretti was formally arrested while in prison in B.C. but has been transferred to Manitoba to deal with the charge. He will make his first court appearance later this week.

"These charges are the result of Project Devote's careful investigation of leads and gathering of evidence," said Supt. Danny Smyth of the Winnipeg Police Service.

"While we are pleased to bring these charges before the courts, our thoughts go out to Ms. Letandre's family members, who have suffered an overwhelming loss. We hope this will bring them some measure of justice."

Police say Andretti also goes by the name of Dylan Harold Grubb. Andretti had contact with Letandre while they were living in Winnipeg. One source described it as an informal relationship.

RCMP previously stated they believe Letandre may have briefly lived at the same Lorne Avenue home, although they wouldn't disclose whether it was with Andretti.

Andretti and McPherson lived at the Lorne Avenue home where Letandre was found before moving west more than five years ago.

Family members of McPherson say she met Andretti through a dating website shortly before leaving Manitoba.

Andretti, who has a form of autism, has police and justice officials concerned because he failed to take his prescription medication. He has a criminal history in Manitoba and B.C., including a violent attack against McPherson in 2008 that netted him probation.

The judge ordered Andretti to stay on his medication as a condition of his probation "so he will not be a danger to others and himself."

Police discovered McPherson's remains scattered on a remote island near Alert Bay, off the east coast of Vancouver Island, last spring. The couple had been living on Hanson Island as caretakers of a remote fishing resort called the Pacific Outback Resort.

At his sentencing hearing last month, lawyers revealed Andretti was co-operative upon his initial arrest and even gave police a tour of the island to show them where he had disposed of the remains.

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition June 3, 2014 A4

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes


  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

Comments are not accepted on this story because they might prejudice a case before the courts.


Make text: Larger | Smaller


Selinger addresses stadium lawsuit

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • Marc Gallant/Winnipeg Free Press. Gardening Column- Assiniboine Park English Garden. July 19, 2002.
  • Someone or thing is taking advantage of the inactivity at Kapyong Barracks,hundreds of Canada Geese-See Joe Bryksa’s goose a day for 30 days challenge- Day 15- May 22, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

View More Gallery Photos


Are you concerned about the number of homicides so far this year?

View Results

Ads by Google