Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
NDP fails to make contract public
No tender issued on inquiry report work
The Selinger government gave an untendered contract this year to a private company to advise it on the implementation of half of the recommendations of the Phoenix Sinclair Inquiry report.
The government also failed to publicly disclose the $350,000 contract as required under provincial rules.
When the government released the long-awaited report on Jan. 31, it announced 31 of 62 recommendations would be referred to an implementation team headed by consultant Barbara Bruce. What wasn't clear was that the team consisted of Bruce and her company, AMR Planning and Consulting of Winnipeg.
In a recent report, outgoing provincial auditor general Carol Bellringer raised concerns about the prevalence of untendered contracts by government and the length of time it takes for them to be made public.
Bellringer found that of 50 untendered government contracts her office examined, 26 were "not supported by an acceptable circumstance needed to justify waiving competitive bids."
In an 18-month audit, the auditor also found 1,857 of the 2,133 untendered government contracts disclosed to the public were not disclosed within the 30-day time limit. Depending on the department or special operating agency examined, the disclosure period ranged from 48 to 182 days on average from the time the contract was signed.
Family Services Minister Kerri Irvin-Ross acknowledged the AMR contract had not met the disclosure rules. As of mid-afternoon Wednesday it had yet to be posted on the government's website even though it was in place by Jan. 31.
But she defended the government's decision not to ask for competing bids, saying it's important government work quickly to implement the Phoenix inquiry report's recommendations.
"We do not have a lot of time when we're talking about what we need to do to improve the child-welfare system," Irvin-Ross said. "I've made a commitment that we're going to work to strengthen it.
She said Barbara Bruce and AMR have the respect of First Nations and Métis leaders. The vast majority of kids in the care of child and family services agencies are aboriginal.
"I think that having somebody with the credibility of AMR Consulting and the principal Barbara Bruce is extremely important," the minister said. "She (Bruce) is an aboriginal woman herself. She's well-respected nationally."
Phoenix's remains were found in a dump on the Fisher River reserve in March 2006. She had been under the watch of CFS before her death at the hands of her mother and the woman's boyfriend. A provincial inquiry led by Ted Hughes began in September 2012. The province released Hughes' report Jan. 31.
So far, 31 of the report's 62 recommendations have been implemented or are in the process of being implemented.
The other 31 -- the ones referred to AMR -- will take more time to examine. Irvin-Ross said many are "extremely complicated," involving more than one government department and/or multiple stakeholders.
Among them is the replacement of the Office of the Children's Advocate (OCA) with a Manitoba Representative for Children and Youth.
The new office would have greater independence from government than the OCA -- more along the lines of the provincial auditor or ombudsman. It would also have greater powers, with a mandate to advocate for all children and youth in the province who are receiving or are eligible to receive any publicly funded service -- as opposed to only advocating for children in the child-welfare system. It would also have responsibility to review not only child deaths but critical injuries to any child in care or recently in care.
The current children's advocate, Darlene MacDonald, whose term was renewed for three years this week, said she supports such an office.
Meanwhile, the Conservative critic said he doesn't understand why the contract with AMR couldn't have been tendered. Ian Wishart said many of Hughes' most critical recommendations are in the process of being implemented: "The remaining ones can take a little more time to be done properly. I don't see that there was a pressing need to abandon the tendering process."
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition April 10, 2014 0
Updated on Thursday, April 10, 2014 at 10:17 AM CDT: Corrects reference to Darlene MacDonald
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 27 articles for today)4:47 PM 0
Manitoba justice officials are seeking a 12-year prison sentence for a young man who sought revenge on a rival by ...
Photo Store Gallery
- Liquor strike possible for Christmas
- Throne speech indicates NDP continuing on same path
- Sex abuse led to changes
- Rinelle Harper meets construction worker who helped save her
- Windows smashed out of vehicles in River Heights
- Selinger says he paid for Jets ticket by donation
- Morantz eyes reviving city's furlough program
- OK, Winnipeg, now it's actually cold out
- $4M worth of water bills rescinded only cost city $350K: Morantz
- Selinger set to deliver Speech from the Throne
- Getting the word out
- Liquor strike possible for Christmas
- Northwest Winnipeg may be getting a new suburb with homes for 5,400 people
- New charges against former DJ in child porn case
- Clerk abused psych patient
- Two men charged after teen had gun pointed at her
- Missing 94-year-old woman found safe
- Ghosts in the machine
- Row over aboriginal ceremony halts Mennonite event
- Aboriginal healer gets two years for sexually assaulting teenage patient
- DNA testing will determine if accused is mother of 6 dead infants
- U-Haul workers find deceased infants inside 'delinquent storage locker'
- Getting the word out
- Police seek girls, 11 and 14, last seen Thursday
- Two charged with attempted murder in Rinelle Harper case
- Sukkau family delivers tragic news on Facebook
- Tormented because of his size
- 'Nobody's going to believe her': defence lawyer on accused in dead infants case
- Suspicious package contained by WPS bomb unit
- Maples soccer mom charged
Ads by Google