May 25, 2015


Olympian's mom misses magic goal

WHAT should have been a proud-mamma moment turned into frustration for a Winnipeg mother when a power outage disabled her TV as she watched her daughter, Desiree Scott, chase an Olympic medal.

Charlene Gusberti was on the edge of her seat in her West Kildonan home when, suddenly, there was nothing to watch.

 Desiree Scott's mother, Charlene Gusberti, and brother, Nick Scott, show their pride.

COLE BREILAND / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS Desiree Scott's mother, Charlene Gusberti, and brother, Nick Scott, show their pride.

"We were halfway through the game. We were at halftime and the TV went blank," she said.

Her daughter and other members of the Canadian women's soccer squad were battling France Thursday and won a dramatic 1-0 victory Gusberti, sadly, never got to see live.

The power outage, around 7:45 a.m., took out the phone lines too, so she frantically called her son on her cellphone, asking for updates.

"I thought she was joking when she called," said Nick Scott, Gusberti's son.

When the Canadian team scored, he called his mom to say it looked like they were going to get the bronze.

"He called and said, 'Mom, they're going to win.' "

Soon after, the power came back on and Gusberti saw the Canadian women's soccer team celebrating their victory.

The setback hasn't dampened Gusberti's spirits. She said she couldn't be more proud of her daughter, a former University of Manitoba Bison soccer player and coach.

"It feels wonderful. She's worked so hard and she deserves it," Gusberti said.

She's spoken to her daughter twice since her bronze medal victory.

"She was crying and laughing," she said. "She said it was a tough game and that France played really well."

Nick said he's still on a high from his sister's win.

"Watching her up there on the podium was exhilarating," he said.

Gusberti has yet to see the game in full, which her son, thank goodness, taped for her.

Scott comes home to Winnipeg on Monday, they said.

About 7,300 homes were affected by the outage in the area between Leila Avenue and Inkster Boulevard and between Scotia Street and Pipeline Road. The outage happened when a garbage truck hit a wire and brought down a hydro pole, said Manitoba Hydro spokesman Scott Powell. Hydro workers had to de-energize the line while they were fixing the problem.


Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition August 10, 2012 A2

You can comment on most stories on You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective January 2015.

Winnipeg Free Press | @WinnipegNews

May 25 8:56 pm

Owner of Melita auction mart plans to rebuild after fire destroyed building

Winnipeg Free Press | @WinnipegNews

May 25 7:56 pm

Walters can't wait for rookie camp to start

Winnipeg Free Press | @WinnipegNews

May 25 6:42 pm

Family and friends gather to mourn Teresa Cassandra Robinson

Winnipeg Free Press | @WinnipegNews

May 25 6:34 pm

Selinger questioned about kicking Melnick out of caucus

Winnipeg Free Press | @WinnipegNews

May 25 6:18 pm

Morrissey, Kostalek have long way to go before claiming permanent spot with Jets

Scroll down to load more