More people are taking responsibility for their roles in a horrific assault on a man in a park -- one captured so clearly on video police were able to tally up the various blows the terrified victim endured.
William Genaille, 51, and Corrine Sinclair, 29, each pleaded guilty to aggravated assault on Friday for taking part in a seemingly unprovoked five-on-one attack of a 49-year-old man at the green space near Main Street and Higgins Avenue on Aug. 3, 2013.
The victim suffered 94 kicks, 28 punches, was stomped on four times and stabbed in the head with scissors.
SDLqYou're killing me," the terrified man cried out at one point during the attack.
"Phone the cops, someone's trying to kill me," he pleaded with bystanders after being stabbed with the scissors above his eye.
His injuries included a fractured ankle and leg that needed bone grafts to repair the damage.
Sentencing was put off for Genaille and Sinclair until later this year.
But a co-accused, Michael Laquette, 28, previously pleaded guilty and was handed four years in prison.
The victim told police he was minding his own business in the park when five people came up to him.
"I thought it was all good," he said in his statement. "One of them sucker -punched me."
Down on the ground, the victim was beaten for about five minutes, said Crown attorney Adam Bergen.
The attackers walked away for a time and then returned to beat the man some more before retreating again.
"They left me alone for 10 to 15 minutes. I was trying to crawl to the Mount Royal (Hotel) to get help and call police. Then when I was crawling, they came back a third time," Bergen said of what the man said happened.
It was at this point he was stabbed with the scissors. Sinclair admitted on Friday to being the person who inflicted this wound.
"I was trying to stop them and I begged them to stop," the victim told police.
The victim's girlfriend put him in a shopping cart and pushed him all the way to her home in the West End where police were called.
Police rounded up suspects in short order. One of them told investigators the victim had drawn the group's ire because he'd been calling his sister names.
The "surprisingly good" cellphone video of the swarm-style attack was obtained by police and has been played by the Crown several times at various hearings.
Two other suspects remain before the courts.