Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

Paper trail runs dry

  • Print

Dolores Chief-Abigosis perfectly illustrates why social workers must take detailed and accurate notes of their case work.

She took over the Phoenix Sinclair file on Nov. 14, 2000. From that date until Feb. 5, 2001, there is no recorded contact between Chief-Abigosis and the family.

In testimony at the Phoenix Sinclair inquiry this week, the former social worker insisted she might have had more contact but not written it down. Her supervisors have testified it was standard social-work practice to note all contact.

Chief-Abigosis's shoddy note-taking was exacerbated by her lack of memory. She answered "I can't recall" 14 times in a 25-minute exchange with a lawyer.

Under questioning from commission counsel Derek Olson, Chief-Abigosis drew a blank on even minor matters.

Is there a reason why supervisor Lorna Hanson would have signed Samantha Kematch's closing file summary in your place, Olson asked.

"I can't recall."

"It's dated Aug. 16," he prompted. "Were you still at the agency?"

"I can't recall the exact date I left the agency," she replied.

(For the record, Chief-Abigosis left the agency in July 2001.)

In another exchange, Olson questioned Chief-Abigosis about her involvement with the family after Echo, Phoenix's younger sister, died.

If you attended the funeral, Olson asked, when after that did you stop actively working on files?

"I can't recall."

After the funeral, did you offer services to Sinclair, Olson asked.

"I can't recall."

"Were you still involved with the family after funeral?" he asked.

She was on paper duty. She said she remembered attending Echo's funeral. Does that help you remember when you resigned, Olson asked.

I can't recall exactly, she said.

-- Lindor Reynolds

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition December 1, 2012 A6

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes


  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.


Make text: Larger | Smaller


Winnipeg police comment on two officers that resuscitated baby

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • Two baby tigers were unveiled at the Assiniboine Park Zoo this morning, October 3rd, 2011. (TREVOR HAGAN/WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • Geese fight as a male defends his nesting site at the duck pond at St Vital Park Thursday morning- See Bryksa’s Goose a Day Photo- Day 08- May 10, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

View More Gallery Photos

About Lindor Reynolds

National Newspaper Award winner Lindor Reynolds began work at the Free Press as a 17-year-old proofreader. It was a rough introduction to the news business.

Many years later, armed with a university education and a portfolio of published work, she was hired as a Free Press columnist. During her 20-plus years on the job she wrote for every section in the paper, with the exception of Business -- though she joked she'd get around to them some day.

Sadly, that day will never come. Lindor died in October 2014 after a 15-month battle with brain cancer.

Lindor received considerable recognition for her writing. Her awards include the Will Rogers Humanitarian Award, the National Society of Newspaper Columnists’ general interest award and the North American Travel Journalists Association top prize.

Her work on Internet luring led to an amendment to the Criminal Code of Canada and her coverage of the child welfare system prompted a change to Manitoba Child and Family Services Act to make the safety of children paramount.

She earned three citations of merit for the Michener Award for Meritorious Public Service in Journalism and was awarded a Distinguished Alumni commendation from the University of Winnipeg. Lindor was also named a YMCA/YWCA  Woman of Distinction.

Reynolds was 56. She is survived by a husband, mother, a daughter and son-in-law and three stepdaughters.

The Free Press has published an ebook celebrating the best of Lindor's work. It's available in the Winnipeg Free Press Store; all proceeds will be donated through our Miracle on Mountain charity to the Christmas Cheer Board.


Should NDP MLAs sign the "pledge of solidarity"?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google