Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Cyclist dies after collision
A man riding a bike was killed in Transcona early Sunday morning when he was struck by an alleged drunk driver.
The crash happened just after 4 a.m. near the corner of Regent Avenue West and Brewster Street. The cyclist was heading west on Regent when he was struck.
He was rushed to hospital but died of his injuries.
A man is in police custody and is facing charges. Alcohol appears to be a factor in the collision, the Winnipeg Police Service said in a statement.
The name of the deceased will not be released. Family notifications are ongoing.
Anyone with information on the crash is asked to contact members of the WPS central traffic unit at 204-986-6271. Regent between Plessis Road and Brewster was reopened in both directions around 2 p.m.
Man's death a homicide
RCMP investigators in Lloydminster, Alta., are treating the death of a Winnipeg-area man last week as a homicide.
Dustin Anthony Ferrante, 51, was found dead in a room at the Best Lodge hotel just after 4 a.m. on Thursday, Dec. 20.
No one has been arrested, and a cause of death wasn't released.
It isn't known how long Ferrante had been in Lloydminster, said an RCMP spokesman.
"Our information is he was a bit of a transient person but was doing some work in the area," said Staff Sgt. Dave Kalist.
"We don't know how long he had been here, but he was staying at that hotel."
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition December 24, 2012 A5
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
Photo Store Gallery
- Break-in on top of her grieving
- No charges laid in fatal collision
- RCMP charge more than dozen impaired drivers
- For some First Nations people, like Tina Fontaine’s family, grieving is part of the yuletide season
- RCMP officer faces drug and weapons charges
- Other alleged victims for therapist charged with assault
- Mild weather not saving city hall any money on snow-clearing budget
- Gang member gets 11 years for paralyzing attack on rival
- Man, 45, missing since Monday
- Chance of snow today, Thursday
- MTS says services have been restored
- Winnipeg trucker dies in semi-truck collision
- New Transcona Boulevard offically opens today
- Nepinak wants Kelvin teacher fired
- Remains may be decade old
- Oswald officially enters NDP leadership race; promises an "alternative vision"
- Infant remains in locker may be decade old: Brodsky
- Criminal probe into HQ project
- Police seek driver after pickup truck hits pedestrian
- No charges laid against man who killed teen mugger
- Slain man leaves behind nine children
- 'Bannock Lady' faces $3,000 in tickets; vehicle seized
- Trucking firm in mourning after driver killed in crash
- Teacher pulled from classroom
- 'Fun party for two' ends in tragedy
- Photos released of suspects in coat heist
- RCMP investigate allegations of doctored invoices, improper payment
- Semi driver dies in collision at Lagimodiere, Dugald
- Twelve arrested, including former city council candidate; weapons and drugs
- Keep car windows clear or face fine: police
Ads by Google