Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

Rock wall ordered down

  • Print

AN unauthorized rock wall built on the Victoria Beach shoreline three weeks ago must be removed by the end of next weekend, the province ordered Monday.

If the barrier, called a revetment, isn't removed by then, the province could do the job and bill four cottage owners for the work.

The order was handed down late last week after it was determined the revetment was built on Crown land without approval.

Many lakeshore cottage owners at Victoria Beach and other locations on Lake Winnipeg fear if they don't protect the shoreline, they risk losing their property to erosion.

But many non-lakefront cottage owners say the revetments will destroy the beaches and natural shoreline.

The lakeshore was pummelled last October when an overland cyclone whipped up huge waves that uprooted trees and scoured the beaches of sand.

The provincial order does not apply to work on private land.

Manitoba Water Stewardship said it is working with the RM of Victoria Beach and other local governments on a plan for erosion-control structures on Lake Winnipeg.

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition March 22, 2011 B2

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Steeves wants to divert BRT cash to rec centres

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • July 1, 2012 - 120701  -   Canada Day fireworks at The Forks from the Norwood Bridge Sunday, July 1, 2012.    John Woods / Winnipeg Free Press
  • Marc Gallant/Winnipeg Free Press. Local- Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project. Baby peregrine falcons. 21 days old. Three baby falcons. Born on ledge on roof of Radisson hotel on Portage Avenue. Project Coordinator Tracy Maconachie said that these are third generation falcons to call the hotel home. Maconachie banded the legs of the birds for future identification as seen on this adult bird swooping just metres above. June 16, 2004.

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Do you think food-security issues are an important topic to address during this mayoral campaign?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google