Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

Sex charge against rural mayor dropped

Never owned vehicle allegedly used in 1966

  • Print

A Manitoba mayor accused of an indecent assault of a child dating back nearly 50 years has seen justice officials toss out the case against him, his defence lawyer says.

The Crown has elected to drop its case against Ste. Anne Mayor Bernard Vermette following a review of their files and after Vermette showed evidence that clears his name, Hymie Weinstein said in an interview with the Free Press.

Vermette, 74, was formally charged in September after a woman came forward to complain she had been assaulted in 1966 when she was nine years old.

Vermette would have been in his mid-20s at the time.

RCMP in St. Pierre Jolys began their investigation in May 2012, arrested Vermette last July and released him on a promise to appear in court.

The case has gone through several routine remands since Vermette was charged.

But it was recently assigned to a senior prosecutor, who has agreed to stay it based on concerns over the legitimacy of the charge, Weinstein said.

"I also provided factual evidence to the Crown that the allegation against Mr. Vermette was not valid and he was not the perpetrator, if in fact something occurred in 1966," said Weinstein.

Vermette is able to prove he never owned the kind of vehicle the complainant alleged was the scene of the assault, the lawyer said.

"We provided proof that my client never, ever owned that type of vehicle," Weinstein said.

The Crown met with the complainant last week and then agreed to drop the case, he added.

Vermette has always denied the allegation and he's relieved at the outcome, Weinstein said.

"He was extremely anxious when he was charged -- he told police there was no way he would have done something like this," he said.

"I know I'm innocent -- for a fact," Vermette told the Free Press in a brief interview after the allegations surfaced.

A married father of three and grandfather to five children, Vermette was elected mayor of Ste. Anne in 2006.

He previously sat as a councillor from 1974 to 1980, according to an online biography.

He's known for his volunteer work in the community and a business he started in the 1970s continues operations to this day, the biography states.

After news of his arrest broke, Vermette was slandered by unknown people who defaced highway property and Vermette's business signs with derogatory names, said Weinstein.

The dated nature of the case was "unusual," Weinstein admitted, adding he is grateful for the Crown's swift action to dismiss the charges.

The case was so old the charge Vermette faced doesn't exist any longer. It was replaced in 1983 by new categories of sexual offences.

In 1966, the maximum punishment for indecent assault was five years in prison and a whipping.

james.turner@freepress.mb.ca

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition January 13, 2014 A3

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Blake Wheeler talks about past season

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • The sun peers through the fog to illuminate a tree covered in hoar frost near Headingley, Manitoba Thursday- Standup photo- February 02, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • A golfer looks for his ball in a water trap at John Blumberg Golf Course Friday afternoon as geese and goslings run for safety- See Joe Bryksa’s 30 day goose challenge- Day 24– June 15, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Do you think Manitoba needs stronger regulations for temporary workers?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google