Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

Woman evades jail for bilking feds on pension

Collected dead mom's OAS benefits

  • Print

A Winnipeg grandmother won't see real jail time after admitting Tuesday she bilked the federal government out of nearly $120,000 in Old Age Security benefits paid to her dead mother.

Luisa Alcantara, 72, pleaded guilty in provincial court to infractions under the Old Age Security and Excise Tax acts. Prosecutors dropped a criminal fraud charge.

From July 1996 to November 2006, Alcantara continued to collect and spend OAS pension benefits paid into a bank account jointly held by her and her mother, Maria Santos, who died at age 86 in her native Philippines in June 1996.

Alcantara personally signed the death certificate, stated an agreed statement of facts presented to Judge Margaret Wiebe.

Wiebe reluctantly agreed to accept a joint deal on sentencing arrived at by the Crown and defence lawyer Richard Wolson.

The deal saw Alcantara handed a conditional sentence of 18 months to be served in the community under certain restrictions, including a house-arrest curfew for a portion of the term.

Wiebe's chief concern with the arrangement centred on uncertainties over when and if Alcantara would repay the ill-gotten money through a standalone restitution order in the amount of $119,374. It's now up to the federal government to reclaim the money in civil court if it chooses.

Alcantara has nothing of value other than the condo she owns, court heard.

"My concern is Revenue Canada (Canada Revenue Agency) and the people of Canada are out the money you took," Wiebe told Alcantara, who cried several times during the hearing.

Wolson assured Wiebe federal enforcement officers are aware of the situation and could take action against her at any time. "This hasn't been hidden from them in any way," he said.

Wiebe also noted the agreed facts contained no explanation for Alcantara's actions.

Wolson said the retired St. Boniface Hospital housekeeper's actions amounted to "foolishness," and pointed to her admission of guilt as proof she accepts the mistakes she made.

"It is a mistake," said Wiebe. "A very, very large mistake," she said, noting Alcantara's conduct -- which went on for years -- was deliberate.

Things began to unravel for Alcantara in June 2006, when the government requested an update on her mother's case. Alcantara filled out the form, saying her mother had recently moved home to her native Philippines.

A specific line on the form to be filled out if she was deceased was left blank, the statement of facts said.

By November 2006, payment of the benefits was suspended after no response was given about when Santos had moved. It wasn't until June 2010 that Service Canada confirmed Santos's death and the RCMP were asked to investigate. They learned annual tax returns in Santos's name had been prepared by an accounting firm and electronically filed during the offence period.

The returns reported only the OAS pension income.

A police review of bank records for the Alcantara-Santos joint account showed the only money that went in was from the government, generally in the amount of $1,000 a month. Withdrawals were typically under $300.

"The exceptions were a withdrawal of $3,000 in April 2000, a purchase of $1,240 at a travel agent in May 2000 and a purchase of $1,000 at a jewelry store in January 2003," the statement of facts said.

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition December 18, 2013 A6

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes


  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.


Make text: Larger | Smaller


Jim Flaherty remembered at visitation as irreplaceable

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • Marc Gallant/Winnipeg Free Press. Local- Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project. Baby peregrine falcons. 21 days old. Three baby falcons. Born on ledge on roof of Radisson hotel on Portage Avenue. Project Coordinator Tracy Maconachie said that these are third generation falcons to call the hotel home. Maconachie banded the legs of the birds for future identification as seen on this adult bird swooping just metres above. June 16, 2004.
  • A  young goose stuffed with bread from  St Vital park passers-by takes a nap in the shade Thursday near lunch  –see Bryksa’s 30 day goose challenge Day 29-June 28, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

View More Gallery Photos


Now that the snow is mostly gone, what are your plans?

View Results

Ads by Google