Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Posted: 04/14/2013 11:50 AM | Comments: 0
The death of Margaret Thatcher marked the passing of a bold leader, a controversial politician and a conservative icon who was one of the 20th century’s most transformative figures.
But the "Iron Lady" was also an expert when it came to delivering unforgettable lines.
Most people know it was Britain’s first female prime minister who said, "If you want something said, ask a man; if you want something done, ask a woman."
But Thatcher also had many other indelible remarks on being a woman, the value of hard work and the most effective way to lead (with an iron fist, apparently). Below are 10 memorable remarks:
1. "Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren’t."
2. "I’ve got a woman’s ability to stick to a job and get on with it when everyone else walks off and leaves it."
3. "Most women defend themselves. It is the female of the species - it is the tigress and lioness in you — which tends to defend when attacked."
4. "People think that at the top there isn’t much room. They tend to think of it as an Everest. My message is that there is tons of room at the top."
5. "I do not know anyone who has gotten to the top without hard work. That is the recipe. It will not always get you to the top, but it will get you pretty near."
6. "To me, consensus seems to be the process of abandoning all beliefs, principles, values and policies. So it is something in which no one believes and to which no one objects."
7. "To those waiting with bated breath for that favourite media catchphrase, the U-turn, I have only this to say, ‘You turn if you want; the lady’s not for turning.’ "
8. "I am painted as the greatest little dictator, which is ridiculous — you always take some consultations."
9. "I don’t mind how much my ministers talk, as long as they do what I say."
10. "I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end."
Jena McGregor writes PostLeadership, about leading in a changing world.
—The Washington Post
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
Missteps prove Putin is no master strategist
American intelligence lacks smarts
False comparisons don't serve health-care analysis
Cynical Egypt unlikely to mediate Israel conflict
Proposal to split up California stupid, self-serving
Time for West to stand up against Russian president
Council ripe for third-party rule?
PST court challenge was risky political ruse
Cut the bull on animal treatment rationalizations
Fear drives young Central American migrants
Difficult to get true picture of crash site
Time for open discussion of nanoparticles in our food
Gun deaths overtaking vehicle deaths south of border
Hope in short supply around Lake Manitoba
Downing of jet makes Ukraine conflict uglier, unavoidable
Impossible to argue away collateral damage
Tsilhqot'in ruling raises questions in Atlantic Canada
One-child policy casts long shadow
Carbon tax fight politically costly down under
Big oil gambles on high prices, lack of regulation
Merchants of death facing hard times
Prospects for independence
Tightly controlled Morocco turmoil-free, for now
Israel, Hamas: perversely codependent
Clinton book-tour missteps could point to weaknesses
'Blood of martyrs' the only endgame for nihilistic Hamas
Flood recovery initiatives need better oversight
Young radicals wooed by false picture of jihad
Sanctions against Russia are toothless
Russian propaganda machine struggling
Chinese crash would dwarf 2008 collapse
Northern band says 'no' to nuclear waste
No military solution for Gaza
It's time to scrap provincial trade barriers
Pallister's pricey political theatre won't pay off for anyone
Obama shouldn’t just pick political theatre that suits him
No escaping Koch brothers in U.S. politics
‘Mission match’ a dangerous fantasy in Iraq