Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Posted: 04/14/2013 11:50 AM | Comments: 0
The death of Margaret Thatcher marked the passing of a bold leader, a controversial politician and a conservative icon who was one of the 20th century’s most transformative figures.
But the "Iron Lady" was also an expert when it came to delivering unforgettable lines.
Most people know it was Britain’s first female prime minister who said, "If you want something said, ask a man; if you want something done, ask a woman."
But Thatcher also had many other indelible remarks on being a woman, the value of hard work and the most effective way to lead (with an iron fist, apparently). Below are 10 memorable remarks:
1. "Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren’t."
2. "I’ve got a woman’s ability to stick to a job and get on with it when everyone else walks off and leaves it."
3. "Most women defend themselves. It is the female of the species - it is the tigress and lioness in you — which tends to defend when attacked."
4. "People think that at the top there isn’t much room. They tend to think of it as an Everest. My message is that there is tons of room at the top."
5. "I do not know anyone who has gotten to the top without hard work. That is the recipe. It will not always get you to the top, but it will get you pretty near."
6. "To me, consensus seems to be the process of abandoning all beliefs, principles, values and policies. So it is something in which no one believes and to which no one objects."
7. "To those waiting with bated breath for that favourite media catchphrase, the U-turn, I have only this to say, ‘You turn if you want; the lady’s not for turning.’ "
8. "I am painted as the greatest little dictator, which is ridiculous — you always take some consultations."
9. "I don’t mind how much my ministers talk, as long as they do what I say."
10. "I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end."
Jena McGregor writes PostLeadership, about leading in a changing world.
—The Washington Post
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
Islamic State traces roots to history's steppe nomads
Canada's largest private-sector union wields considerable clout
It's labour's day
Election rules linked to turmoil in Ferguson
A war for Britain
Manitoba must focus on academic achievement
Russia, Ukraine play a dangerous game of chicken
Dysfunctional enemies will help ISIS win
The problem with twits and trolls
Charity must play bigger role in aboriginal issues
Knee defender can’t be defended
Patience and improvisation may be necessary in federal reserve policy
Don’t be negative about negative ads
Judicial review useless for family
The Obama doctrine
First Nations election law could face rough ride
Hope is not a strategy in climate change
Quitting the NFL cold turkey
Italy threatens to let loose refugees picked up in the sea
Mexico an entry point for terrorists into the U.S.?
Palestinians, aboriginals share culture of vulnerability
How to explain the success of the “ice bucket challenge”
Something must come from Williams’ death
Use prizes as incentive to get the vote out
Seeing health care clearly
Mayoral candidates need long-term plan for infrastructure