Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

Statin debate comes down to your preference

  • Print

There has been much discussion over the last few days, by journalists and health professionals, on the new guidelines for the treatment of blood cholesterol put forward by the American Heart Association and the American College of Cardiology. Critics have raised concerns the revised guidelines will increase the number of healthy people who take statin drugs by 70 per cent, that treatment thresholds are too low and that some guideline writers have links to the drug industry.

But these discussions have largely missed two key words in the new guidelines: "patient preference." The ACC/AHA state clearly, and emphatically -- the term is used more than 20 times in the document -- this is a framework for clinical decision-making that must incorporate "patient preferences." To put this into context, the Canadian Cardiovascular Society lipid guidelines from 2006 and 2009 make no mention of patient preferences whatsoever, and while their 2012 version contains the word "preferences" five times, only once do they actually refer to patient preferences.

This is an important transformation in guideline attitude, and here's why. No matter what recommendations this guideline or a health care professional may make, the patient is the one who should decide what's best.

The biggest limitation of the ACC/AHA guidelines is that they don't provide information in a manner that easily facilitates a balanced discussion between a patient and a health care professional. Fortunately, it's not all that difficult.

One of the most controversial parts of the guidelines is the threshold for treatment they recommended -- individuals with a 10-year heart attack and stroke risk of 7.5 per cent or greater is where "risk reduction benefit clearly exceeds the potential for adverse effects." That's their opinion but what counts is your opinion.

The evidence suggests statins reduce heart attack/stroke risk by approximately 30 per cent.

What does this mean? If you take roughly a third off of 7.5 per cent (2.5 per cent), the risk for heart attack and stroke would drop to around five per cent. Put a different way, this means 40 people need to be treated for 10 years to benefit one person; 97.5 per cent get no clinical benefit whatsoever from statin drugs.

Let's say a higher threshold like 10 per cent had been chosen instead, as some critics have argued should have been the case. Doing similar math, 10 per cent goes down to seven per cent (a 30 per cent reduction), which is a difference of three per cent. Thus, 33 people need to be treated to benefit one person and 97 per cent get no benefit from taking statins. So the big debate about the threshold is a debate about a 0.5 per cent 10-year difference (a three per cent vs. a 2.5 per cent benefit).

Now, on the other end of the risk spectrum, a person with a past stroke/heart attack or an older person with many risk factors, may have roughly a 30 per cent risk. They would get a 10 per cent absolute benefit over 10 years. This means this higher risk person (who has already had a heart attack or stroke) taking a statin for 10 years has about a one in 10 chance of benefiting from the medicine, while 90 per cent will get no benefit at all.

That's the benefit, so what about harm?

Muscle aches and stiffness occur in five to 10 per cent of people taking statins, with severe muscle or kidney damage occurring in roughly one in 10,000, and possible abnormal liver lab values in two per cent. Some people experience nausea, constipation, diarrhea and then, of course, there is the drug cost and the bother of taking a pill every day. Fortunately, most of these harms are reversible.

There are a few caveats. Most studies with statins have been for five years or less, so we really don't know about long-term benefit and harm. You may have also heard statins cause diabetes, but the risk increase for diabetes is only about one per cent, and because statins overall reduce the risk for heart attack or stroke (the reason we treat type 2 diabetes), this risk is not clinically important.

If, after thinking about the above information you wish to try a statin, then that is the right choice for you. If, however, you don't want to take a statin based on the information, that is also the right choice for you. In either case, you can always change your mind.

Your health care professional should support you no matter the decision. This is really what the new guidelines should be all about.

James McCormack, an expert adviser with EvidenceNetwork.ca, is a professor with the faculty of pharmaceutical sciences at the University of British Columbia. Mike Allan, a family doctor, is director of evidence-based medicine in the department of family practice at the University of Alberta.

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition November 30, 2013 A17

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Paul Maurice addresses media at end of 13/14 season

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • Young goslings are growing up quickly near Cresent Lake in Portage La Prairie, Manitoba- See Bryksa 30 Day goose project- Day 11- May 15, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • June 24, 2012 - 120624  -  Amusement riders on the last day of The Ex Sunday June 24, 2012.    John Woods / Winnipeg Free Press

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Do you think Manitoba needs stronger regulations for temporary workers?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google