Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 29/7/2010 (2192 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
BODY COUNT HIGH: Lots of banged-up Bombers watching practice Thursday, the last full day of workouts before the club flies to Calgary Friday morning.
LB Shawn Gallant (knees), punter Mike Renaud (knee) and LB Marcellus Bowman (hand) were all watching, although DT Dorian Smith was back in pads. Expect Courtney Smith to start for Bowman with the other change seeing Alex Suber taking over for Clint Kent in the secondary and DE Armond Willis replacing DE Odell Willis
Armond looks smallish (although he’s listed at 6-2, 232) and did have to get his left thigh taped up during practice. We’ll see if he can handle the pounding of a full game Saturday night.
Receiver Aaron Hargreaves will hold on placement kicks with Renaud out and Alexis Serna will handle all the kicking chores.
DOGGETT GONZO: Here’s Paul LaPolice on the release of linebacker Derrick Doggett today:
"We had to make a decision and with Derrick not being able to be our third-string WILL linebacker (after Marcellus Bowman and Courtney Smith)... you have to have a role to be here. I know he played on special teams for a couple of weeks but with the injuries we have it’s very hard for us to keep him when we already have an American kicker and to keep another guy around just for special teams. That was our process.
"One person won’t make our special teams better. It is a collective group, a collective unit. There will be mistakes that happen... but with the play of our special teams improving, we think we’ll be OK."
QUESTIONS THAT NEED ANSWERS AS CFL WEEK 5 OPENS:
- Why does Arland Bruce III have just 16 catches and 1 TD after four games?
- Does new Argo RB Cory Boyd, now leading the CFL in rushing, really punish tacklers as much as it seems?
- Whatever happened to Nick Setta and why doesn't his name pop up when teams have kicking issues?
- Which does Romby Bryant have more of through the first month of the season, touchdowns (4) or drops?
- Are the Alouettes really only a 10-point favourite against the Argos tonight at home?
- How soon before Montreal’s Jamel Richardson – who had nine touchdowns last season – finds the end zone in 2010?
- How much would a second solid showing by Steven Jyles change everyone’s perception of him as a starting QB prospect?
BLUE NOISE? The Bombers spent a portion of Thursday's practice working with crowd noise constantly pumped through the Canad Inns speakers. Don’t remember McMahon Stadium being particularly loud in years past, but it’s never a bad thing to be prepared.