Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 16/1/2013 (1199 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
At one o’clock in the morning, I was awakened by the infuriating, determined "CHIRP" of what I assumed to be a smoke alarm.
I climbed up on a stepstool and removed the battery, thinking that would solve the problem. It did not.
Thinking it possible that it was a sensor for my house alarm, I called them, but learned that it was fine. I should mention that I am hard of hearing, so not easily able to determine where sounds originate.
After seven hours of listening to that wretched beeping, I called my brother. He wasn’t home.
Then I tried to reach Dave, the capable man who attends to maintenance of my house. He was out of town, but his lovely wife, Anne, offered to come over to see whether she could help.
Help she did! Her keen ears soon tracked down the culprit: a small carbon monoxide alarm located in the room next to the other two. New batteries solved the problem and saved the day.
After nearly eight hours of that awful beeping, my gratitude knew no bounds.
Thank you again, Anne.
— Dawn MacFarlane