Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
A taste of wine (and beer) on the web
- Like local brewery Half Pints? Good news - they're doing so well that they're expanding. Don't forget - the first night of the Flatlander's Beer Festival tastings is tonight at the Winnipeg Convention Centre.
- Want to see the first steps in making a white/sparkling wine? Check out this video.
- Ever wonder what gets served at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. (aka the White House)? Meet Daniel Shanks.
- Got a spare $250? Get the Essences Collection, full of aromas commonly found in wine. (My suggestion - save your money and wander around your grocery store. Your entire arsenal of wine aromas is waiting for you.)
- Ever hear a wine geek mention terroir? Here's what it means.
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
About Ben MacPhee-Sigurdson
When he wasn't bashing on a drum kit in local punk rock bands, Ben spent the mid '90s hucking cases of wine around to pay for two English degrees. Now he's the Winnipeg Free Press wine columnist and blogger.
The extent of Ben's wine experience in the mid-90s was memories of accidentally leaving a bottle of White Zinfandel in the freezer overnight, and the ensuing mess he was left with. Between 1996 and 2005 Ben absorbed all he could about wine while working at wine shops to pay for school. Meanwhile, he was churning out papers for his BA and MA in English (from the Universities of Winnipeg and Manitoba, respectively).
Ben became the Winnipeg Free Press' weekly wine columnist in 2005, and two years later joined Wine Access magazine as a contributor, a member of their national tasting panel and a judge at the Canadian Wine Awards and International Value Wine Awards until the magazine closed up shop in 2013.
In 2013 Ben joined the Winnipeg Free Press as a copy/web editor.
Blogs that Ben MacPhee-Sigurdson follows:
Ads by Google