Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 1/10/2008 (3128 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
So I was thinking about the month of September, and how maniacally busy the month was for me...What was I up to? Oh, let's see... I:
- Travelled to the Okanagan Valley and tasted approximately 400 wines
- Attended numerous tastings and wine dinners in town, racking up at least 100 additional wines tasted
- Ventured out to the Flatlanders Beer Festival, sampling a few dozen beers
- Started the Wine Fundamentals I level of the International Sommelier Guild
- Wrote a bunch of columns, etc.
- Worked a day job full-time
- Tried to squeeze in some time with those people I live with (aka the family), as well as a few hours of sleep here and there.
In all, I tasted nearly 600 wines in September. Yikes. My total for the year is already well over 1,000 wines tasted, and it's only October - last year I think I hit 1,000 for the entire year. It doesn't look like the madness will let up in October either, but that's OK - so long as my daughter doesn't remember who I am and the locks on the house aren't changed while I'm out at a tasting, I guess it's business as usual.Speaking of which, here's another entry in the list of fun places to go to enjoy wine:Fude Inspired Cuisine and Wine Bar
Second Level, 99 Osborne Street - 284-3833Owner Chris Fougere and company deliver comfort food with flare, and offer an eclectic mix of wines worthy of your perusal. There's no pretension to be found at fude, as is evidenced by their fun menu and wine list, and the staff is knowedgeable without any condescension. Wednesday is "winesday" and features $3.00 off half-litres, $7.00 off bottles, and $10.00 off reserve wines. Their website offers general descriptors of various grapes, and signing up for Fude's mailing list provides first dibs on wine dinners, dining room specials, and seating for high-colume nights (Mother's Day, Valentine's Day, etc.). Good options for vegetarians/vegans as well. Reservations recommended. Closed Sunday and Monday, except for special events and certain holidays.