Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 19/4/2011 (1893 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
The photos of the burning house on the website of The Peterborough Examiner are terrifying.
My daughter's house.
She's OK, she wasn't there at the time, and the smoke alarms alerted the couple of housemates who were home, and they got out in time without injury.
But the damage to the house and the contents were devastating, a nice old three-storey house with hardwood throughout, and a big wooden porch that was aflame, and in the main hallway, incongruously were it not student housing, a suit of armour.
I was talking to a school division superintendent who told me you can drive yourself crazy with what-ifs.......child the younger is safe, and by coincidence, mom was in Upper Canada and could get there in a couple of hours.
All of this happened in the middle of exams, five young women all deeply impacted....but it appears that the profs at Trent are being wonderfully accommodating, our insurance company is all over it, and all her year's school work on the laptop's hard drive is being recovered by computer wizards.
I won't dwell on it.
But if your kids are away at university, or they're going away, do what we'll be doing when our kids go to their student housing in Peterborough and Victoria at the end of the summer, don't just rely on the security system in their houses, send along extra smoke detectors with fresh batteries that they can put in their bedrooms.