Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Don't bring down Bruce and other brainstorms
Another week of NHL playoff hockey, another week of observations from one man’s perch..
1. The Washington Capitals stunning choke job against the Tampa Bay Lightning — and I say stunning because many folks, yours truly included, felt they would represent the Eastern Conference in the Stanley-Cup Final — could very well cost head coach Bruce Boudreau his job, although that’s not the early indication.
And that would not only be a shame if Boudreau was dumped, it would be wrong.
Look, it’s true that since Boudreau stepped behind the Caps’ bench they have lost Game 7 playoff games to Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and the historic collapse last year against Montreal. Their special teams were awful against the Bolts and, despite his efforts to change the approach of this squad to a more defensive-minded lot, they are swept from the Cup derby before mid-May.
2. Nobody asked me, but I’m with the NHL on the Green Men. What these two dudes do doesn’t work for me. Still freedom of expression must be upheld... I guess.
3. Two words after watching Tampa knock off the Caps to advance: Sean Bergenheim? Really, who is this guy? The best background piece on the Finnish sensation, a former first-round draft pick, can be found here.
4. As an admitted Red Wings fan I still have to say I’m not surprised the San Jose Sharks have been able to jump out to a 3-0 lead. This is an old team that needs an influx of young blood. GM Ken Holland will have a lot of work to do this summer making over his squad.
5. Is it just me, or has Round 2 come nowhere close to delivering the drama of the opening collection of series? Or is it just the fact that we’re finally getting some decent temps and I’m starting to get hockey-ed out? Or is it all of the above?
RANDOM THOUGHTS AND THREE DOTS...
-There’s a small shot at Winnipeg in here, but Down Goes Brown scores again with application form for Team Canada and the World Hockey Championships.
-Oh, to be a diehard again. It’s not exactly high-brow humour, but it works for me. Here’s what those crazies in Section 303 — Cellblock 303 — are yelling during Predators’ games.
-Still have no clue why anybody would run onto the field during a sporting event, but here’s a warning: don’t try it at Fenway Park, especially if you’re seated along the first-base line. Check out the tackle the securtiy guy makes here.
-I swear I could hear Tampa Bay Lightning play-by-play guy Dave Mishkin scream ‘Scooorreee!’ in the Bolts Game 4 win over the Caps — and I wasn’t even listening to the radio. Here’s a sample of the guy’s goal call:
-Just to reconfirm, this is definitely the worst golf swing ever.
-So the UFL held its draft Monday night and took a guy from the University of Regina? No kidding. The Omaha Nighthawks selected Ramd defensive tackle Akiem Hicks 48th overall. Hicks was a Canada West all-star in 2010 last year and played two seasons at Sacramento City College.
-Strange, but true: the Lightning are now looking at odds of 7-to-2 to win the Stanley Cup. Anybody have their line when the 2010-11 season opened?
-One question: Why? Why would Subway opt to make a sculpture of running back Mark Ingram, get this, out of chicken salad? Check it out here.
Another video that has nothing to do with sports, but I found entertaining. Here’s Saturday Night Live’s Seth Meyers at the 2011 white house correspondents’ dinner
Got a video or cool link you’d like to share? Fire if off to Ed at email@example.com
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
Ads by Google