Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

Common sense absent amid chaos

Confusion over policies rampant, former CEO of agency reveals

  • Print

With a simple question, commissioner Ted Hughes got to the nut of Darlene MacDonald's testimony Tuesday morning. The former CEO of Winnipeg CFS (and current provincial Children's Advocate) was trying to explain the Gordian knot of policies, standards and guidelines governing the behaviour of social workers during her tenure.

At issue was whether it was clearly written social workers were compelled to see a child at risk before closing her file. That's a requirement now, but wasn't necessarily when Phoenix's case was closed in 2004 and again in 2005 without the child being seen.

"The child was the subject of the referral," she said in response to questioning by general authority Kris Saxberg. "That child should have been seen."

They niggled back and forth over whether this was a minimum requirement or a best practice, and whether the directive was formally spelled out in any manual at the time.

Hughes looked at MacDonald. "You're saying a social worker with some experience and some common sense would know that?" Hughes asked her. "That's right," she replied.

But common sense, as my lovely husband is fond of saying, is not that common. It seems to have been in particularly short supply at Winnipeg Child and Family Services when the agency became part of the provincial government in 1999 and later when devolution began. The strain on workers cannot be overstated. They didn't know if they'd have jobs when all was said and done, and their workload increased as they prepared files for transfer.

As the inquiry has heard repeatedly, it was a time of chaos.

During Phoenix's short life, MacDonald was a CFS program manager, overseeing the work of a slew of colleagues who have already been witnesses at this inquiry. She did not have direct contact with front-line workers or their supervisors. MacDonald became CEO when the reports into Phoenix's death were underway.

It seems no one knew the formal rules of engagement for exemplary child-protection work while the child's file was opened and closed like shutters in a windstorm. Some staff were hired right out of school and might not receive training in key areas for a year. Turnover was constant. It would seem a set of strict guidelines would be an imperative.

MacDonald certainly had expectations of her staff. The history of a file should be read carefully, she said, to tell a worker how many times a file had been opened and closed, what sort of resources a family had and what sort of issues were at play. Those were her expectations, but testimony has shown Phoenix's file was rarely examined in depth.

So which rules laid out the expectations? MacDonald used a set of 1998 guidelines as a fallback. The "blue books" were in every office. Those standards were overwritten by a new set of case-management standards that had been tested and were supposed to be in use by Jan. 1, 2002. Devolution delayed that plan.

"It was a confusing time and the standards that the workers were looking at were probably the '88 standards," she testified. In a December 2003 memo to her bosses, MacDonald expressed her concerns.

"Would you please clarify the expectations of the Child Protection Branch and General Authority with respect to the Draft Standards," she wrote. In February 2004, the issue still wasn't resolved.

In 2006, reports into the circumstances of Phoenix's death and the involvement of CFS were underway. One writer, senior management was told, "has raised concerns that not all staff seem to be aware of the Branch Policy Manual."

Phoenix's death brought change to CFS, the inquiry has been told. Staff have been added and policies and procedures clarified. Social workers must see all the children in a family during a specified time period. The basic requirement that a child at risk be seen surely doesn't have to be written in any manual.

Common sense, as commissioner Hughes clarified, should have made that clear.

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition February 6, 2013 A4

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes


  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.


Make text: Larger | Smaller


Downtown BIZ Watch patrol along Main Street

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • Marc Gallant/Winnipeg Free Press. Local/Standup- BABY BISON. Fort Whyte Centre's newest mother gently nudges her 50 pound, female bull calf awake. Calf born yesterday. 25 now in herd. Four more calfs are expected over the next four weeks. It is the bison's second calf. June 7, 2002.
  • PHIL.HOSSACK@FREEPRESS.MB.CA 101130-Winnipeg Free Press Columns of light reach skyward to the stars above Sanford Mb Tuesday night. The effect is produced by streetlights refracting through ice crystals suspended in the air on humid winter nights. Stand Up.....

View More Gallery Photos

About Lindor Reynolds

National Newspaper Award winner Lindor Reynolds began work at the Free Press as a 17-year-old proofreader. It was a rough introduction to the news business.

Many years later, armed with a university education and a portfolio of published work, she was hired as a Free Press columnist. During her 20-plus years on the job she wrote for every section in the paper, with the exception of Business -- though she joked she'd get around to them some day.

Sadly, that day will never come. Lindor died in October 2014 after a 15-month battle with brain cancer.

Lindor received considerable recognition for her writing. Her awards include the Will Rogers Humanitarian Award, the National Society of Newspaper Columnists’ general interest award and the North American Travel Journalists Association top prize.

Her work on Internet luring led to an amendment to the Criminal Code of Canada and her coverage of the child welfare system prompted a change to Manitoba Child and Family Services Act to make the safety of children paramount.

She earned three citations of merit for the Michener Award for Meritorious Public Service in Journalism and was awarded a Distinguished Alumni commendation from the University of Winnipeg. Lindor was also named a YMCA/YWCA  Woman of Distinction.

Reynolds was 56. She is survived by a husband, mother, a daughter and son-in-law and three stepdaughters.

The Free Press has published an ebook celebrating the best of Lindor's work. It's available in the Winnipeg Free Press Store; all proceeds will be donated through our Miracle on Mountain charity to the Christmas Cheer Board.


Are you concerned about the number of homicides so far this year?

View Results

Ads by Google