July 4, 2015


Severe thunderstorm warning in effect Severe thunderstorm watch in effect Special air quality statement in effect

Editorials

A hospital’s duty

NEUROPATHOLOGIST Marc Del Bigio told the Brian Sinclair inquest last week that the victim bears some responsibility in his own death, at the Health Sciences Centre ER in 2008. Mr. Sinclair died of sepsis, while sitting for 34 hours in the ER waiting room, due to urine and pus seeping into his blood system.

Dr. Del Bigio, noting something was "amiss" in the ER, told the inquest it must consider two other factors in the death: a) Mr. Sinclair was suffering dementia and the clinic that sent him there should have had someone accompany him to the ER, and b) he was a long-time sniff addict who damaged his brain, and contributed to his own demise.

Brian Sinclair (seen in a portrait outside the inquest) suffered from 'self-inflicted' health problems that brought him to the ER.

BORIS MINKEVICH / FREE PRESS ARCHIVES

Brian Sinclair (seen in a portrait outside the inquest) suffered from 'self-inflicted' health problems that brought him to the ER.

The first point is welcomed, as is the physician’s plea for greater awareness of the dangers of solvent abuse. But provincial court Judge Tim Preston should dismiss the advice to regard Mr. Sinclair’s HSC experience as partly self-inflicted.

A patient’s lifestyle cannot interfere with medical personnel’s duty to deliver professional care. Otherwise, many people with diseases resulting from behaviour — the skateboarder who refuses to wear a helmet and is brain-damaged from concussion — would suffer. When Mr. Sinclair entered the ER, he was HSC’s responsibility. The hospital failed him. The only question now is how, and why, and how to prevent a recurrence.

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition August 12, 2013 A8

Editorials are the consensus view of the Winnipeg Free Press’ editorial board, comprising Catherine Mitchell, David O’Brien, Shannon Sampert, and Paul Samyn.

Editorials are the consensus view of the Winnipeg Free Press’ editorial board, comprising Catherine Mitchell, David O’Brien, Shannon Sampert, and Paul Samyn.

History

Updated on Monday, August 12, 2013 at 9:52 AM CDT: Adds CIL box.

1:51 PM: Removes CIL box

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective January 2015.

Scroll down to load more

Top