Re: Shocking demand (May 12). As a former chief of electrical inspections for the City of Winnipeg, I would disagree with insurance companies regarding the policy of requiring homeowners to replace knob-and-tube wiring. I think it is a very safe wiring method.
I say "is," and not "was," because it is still allowed today, as noted in the Canadian Electrical Code book. As for saying most electrical appliances and electronics require a ground wire, I disagree as well, because most small appliances, toasters, can openers, televisions, coffee makers and lamps are two wire.
As far as knob-and-tube wiring not being able to handle the volume of today's appliances and electronics, that applies to modern wiring as well.
Knob-and-tube wiring was made to be protected by 15-amp fuses and today's wiring is made to be protected by 15-amp breakers. As the fire commissioner said, if it was done by the electrical code, it should be safe.
By the way, for those insurance companies interested, take a drive out to Harbour View Park and look at how the lighting is installed. It is knob-and-tube wiring, installed by a contractor and inspected by the City of Winnipeg.