Canstar Community News - ONLINE EDITION
Keep the kids busy this summer…
If you have kids in your life — grandkids/nieces/nephews or your own darling children — you’re familiar with the phrase "I’m bored."
Keep ‘cool’ this summer with affordable activities right here in Westwood.
City facilities are a great place to start:
• The St. James Assiniboia Centennial Pool’s new spray pad is now open. Gates off the main parking lot are open from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. through September 2. Children must be supervised (no staff/attendant on duty); bring lawn chairs and/or a picnic, but no glass containers please.
• Lifeguards are on duty at the wading pool at John Steele Park, 300 Westwood Dr., Monday through Sunday from 10:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.
• The Police Museum at 130 Allard Ave. is open weekdays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. except holidays. Take a self-guided tour or arrange a guided tour at 204-986-3976. Give the kids a taste of history while it’s still close to home — the museum is set to relocate in 2014.
• The Westwood Library has a host of free summer activities for kids/teens. Complete details are available at wpl.winnipeg.ca/library/pdfs/childrensprograms. Highlights include Family Literacy Fun Daym Aug. 1; Magician Ryan Price, Aug. 8; Story/Songwriting for Teens, Aug. 22.
Call 204-986-4747 to register. The library is open 10 am-8:30 pm Monday, Tuesday & Thursday and 10 am-5 pm on Fridays.
If you seek supervised, sustained activities, check out the programs at either the St. James Assiniboia Centennial Pool or YWCA. Both facilities have affordable weekly day camps and/or swim lessons to keep kids occupied. Search City programs on-line at www.leisureonline.ca.
Find information about the Y at ywinnipeg.ca/westportagepool.
Both the Centennial Pool and the Y also have drop-in activities as well:
At the Y:
• Bouncy play structure — open from 9 a.m. to noon, Monday through Friday
• Drop-in swim (see website for times/availability)
• Full-sized gymnasium
Non-member drop-in rates apply. Contact the Y for more information at 204-889-8052 or firstname.lastname@example.org at Centennial Pool
• Free swim Wednesdays, 8:30-10 p.m.; Free teen (9-19) swim Saturdays. 7 to 9 p.m.
• Family swim Sundays, 10 a.m.-noon
Drop in for information, or call ‘311’.
And there’s so much more!
Did you know there are 13 parks/playgrounds in Kirkfield/Westwood?
Have you gone fishing? You’d be surprised how many toss a line in at Westwood Green.
Have an active summer — it’s the stuff that memories are made of.
Sharon Pfeifer is a community correspondent for Westwood. You can contact her at email@example.com.
More Our Communities
More Our Communities
(1 of 50 articles for this week)1:23 PM 0
The Lutheran Church of the Cross (560 Arlington St.) is hosting its third annual community Christmas breakfast on Dec. 14 ...
This Just In
Must Have Menus
Ads by Google