Canstar Community News - ONLINE EDITION
Keep the kids busy this summer…
If you have kids in your life — grandkids/nieces/nephews or your own darling children — you’re familiar with the phrase "I’m bored."
Keep ‘cool’ this summer with affordable activities right here in Westwood.
City facilities are a great place to start:
• The St. James Assiniboia Centennial Pool’s new spray pad is now open. Gates off the main parking lot are open from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. through September 2. Children must be supervised (no staff/attendant on duty); bring lawn chairs and/or a picnic, but no glass containers please.
• Lifeguards are on duty at the wading pool at John Steele Park, 300 Westwood Dr., Monday through Sunday from 10:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.
• The Police Museum at 130 Allard Ave. is open weekdays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. except holidays. Take a self-guided tour or arrange a guided tour at 204-986-3976. Give the kids a taste of history while it’s still close to home — the museum is set to relocate in 2014.
• The Westwood Library has a host of free summer activities for kids/teens. Complete details are available at wpl.winnipeg.ca/library/pdfs/childrensprograms. Highlights include Family Literacy Fun Daym Aug. 1; Magician Ryan Price, Aug. 8; Story/Songwriting for Teens, Aug. 22.
Call 204-986-4747 to register. The library is open 10 am-8:30 pm Monday, Tuesday & Thursday and 10 am-5 pm on Fridays.
If you seek supervised, sustained activities, check out the programs at either the St. James Assiniboia Centennial Pool or YWCA. Both facilities have affordable weekly day camps and/or swim lessons to keep kids occupied. Search City programs on-line at www.leisureonline.ca.
Find information about the Y at ywinnipeg.ca/westportagepool.
Both the Centennial Pool and the Y also have drop-in activities as well:
At the Y:
• Bouncy play structure — open from 9 a.m. to noon, Monday through Friday
• Drop-in swim (see website for times/availability)
• Full-sized gymnasium
Non-member drop-in rates apply. Contact the Y for more information at 204-889-8052 or firstname.lastname@example.org at Centennial Pool
• Free swim Wednesdays, 8:30-10 p.m.; Free teen (9-19) swim Saturdays. 7 to 9 p.m.
• Family swim Sundays, 10 a.m.-noon
Drop in for information, or call ‘311’.
And there’s so much more!
Did you know there are 13 parks/playgrounds in Kirkfield/Westwood?
Have you gone fishing? You’d be surprised how many toss a line in at Westwood Green.
Have an active summer — it’s the stuff that memories are made of.
Sharon Pfeifer is a community correspondent for Westwood. You can contact her at email@example.com.
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
More Our Communities
More Our Communities
(1 of 7 articles for today)1:00 AM 0
Portage la Prairie area parents can sign their little ones up for two fun events at the Portage la Prairie ...