Canstar Community News - ONLINE EDITION
Debate continues over options for SFX’s waste disposal
St. Francois Xavier council is mulling over options for future waste disposal within the municipality.
Following an open meeting on April 24, deputy reeve Bob Thiessen said the municipality is "Trying to get some prices for our options."
Three options are being considered. The first is expanding the existing nuisance grounds, which is expected to cost at least $150,000 for engineering and environmental studies, land acquisition, pit excavation and road extension.
This estimate is much higher than the approximately $100,000 council was considering until a few weeks ago, when they received a letter from Manitoba Conservation and Water Stewardship. The letter advised them that they are only able to expand and operate the currently-used garbage pit until May 1, 2014 rather than the 10 years they had expected.
The second option is constructing a waste transfer station where residents would place their garbage in large containers that would be hauled away when full. This would cost approximately $73,000 annually to operate.
The third option is contracting with a company for curbside pick-up at an annual cost of about $185 per household.
Municipal residents were invited to complete a survey earlier this year to determine which option is most popular. The results from 116 respondents show a close-to-even split between expanding the existing site and curbside pick-up.
Thiessen said municipal taxpayers will definitely have the chance to vote on how their garbage will be handled in coming years.
He added that the two recycling depots within the municipality are being well-used and help to keep recyclable material out of the nuisance grounds.
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
More The Headliner
More The Headliner
(1 of 6 articles for today)03/4/2015 1:00 AM 0
This Just In
Ads by Google