Canstar Community News - ONLINE EDITION
The origins of Springstein, Man.
The countdown begins …
2014 marks the 100th year since the incorporation of the Rural Municipality of Cartier and events are being planned to celebrate this occasion. Reserve the weekend of June 13 and 14, 2014 to attend this 100th birthday of Cartier. During this countdown to the Centennial Celebration, articles will be printed in The Headliner to highlight various aspects of the R.M. of Cartier –—past, present and future.
Watch this space for more highlights about Cartier!
☐ ☐ ☐
How Springstein began
In 1898, Alonzo Springstein, an American immigrant of Dutch descent, purchased 1,950 acres of virgin prairie land which included the area which became the town of Springstein.
He was instrumental in developing the community, breaking and planting the land, bringing in the CPR siding and establishing a post office.
After Mr. Springstein’s sudden & untimely death in 1902 the land remained in limbo until 1911 when F.A. Bean Properties of Minneapolis purchased it and contracted 10 Mennonite immigrant families from Russia to work the farmland in 1924.
Through the hard work of the Mennonite pioneers, low-lying swamp land was turned into fertile farmland. Mennonite pioneer John Martens was instrumental in establishing the school and church, as well as planting trees along what would later become streets.
Today the church still stands but the school and post office have disappeared. The town is still surrounded by farmland and, although many Mennonite families remain in the area, the community is made up of people with diverse ethnic heritages.
Fun fact: The land in the Springstein area used to be so low and swampy that people were able to canoe all the way from Headingly to Starbuck!
The Treasures of Time Municipal History Book was completed in 1984 and a second book is now being worked on to complete the 100 years. The book will be sold at the end of 2014. our contributions of stories are needed to make the book a success and may be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org or dropped off at the R.M of Cartier municipal office.
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
More The Headliner
More The Headliner
(1 of 11 articles for this week)02/27/2015 11:34 AM 0
The Baie St. Paul bridge on Highway 248 in the RM of St. Francois Xavier will remain closed for up ...
This Just In
Ads by Google