Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 22/8/2013 (1007 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
The countdown begins …
2014 marks the 100th year since the incorporation of the Rural Municipality of Cartier and events are being planned to celebrate this occasion. Reserve the weekend of June 13 and 14, 2014 to attend the 100th birthday of Cartier. During this countdown to the centennial celebration, articles will be printed in The Headliner to highlight various aspects of the RM of Cartier — past, present and future.
Watch this space for more highlights about Cartier!
The beginning of Cartier municipality
The Cartier municipality was once a part of the RM of St. François Xavier. In August 1913, a motion was passed by the council of St. François Xavier to divide the municipality along the lines of the Assiniboine River and create two separate municipalities. In March 1914, the RM of Cartier was created. The municipality is named after Sir George-Étienne Cartier, one of the founding fathers of Canada’s Confederation. Cartier was joint prime minister with Sir John A. Macdonald.
In 1914 the municipality established six wards, an office in Elie and F. R. LaFleche as reeve. In the 100 years since its inception, there have only been 12 reeves. At present, the municipality has five wards, still maintains an office in Elie, and Roland Rasmussen is the 12th and current reeve.
Fun fact: E.V. "Bud" Fossay was reeve for 32 of our municipality’s 100 years.