Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 18/10/2013 (1141 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
The countdown begins …
2014 marks the 100th year since the incorporation of the Rural Municipality of Cartier, and events are being planned to celebrate this occasion. Reserve the weekend of June 13 and 14, 2014 to attend this 100th birthday of Cartier. During this countdown to the Centennial Celebration, articles will be printed in The Headliner to highlight various aspects of the RM of Cartier —past, present and future.
Watch this space for more highlights about Cartier!
☐ ☐ ☐
Like many of the communities in the RM of Cartier, Dacotah was settled by hard-working pioneers determined to carve out lives for themselves from the wide-open prairie.
The first pioneers settled in Dacotah many years before the RM of Cartier was incorporated. The Winslow family settled in the yet-to-be-named area in 1899 and donated land to the railroad for a siding built in 1904. Because the Winslows had donated the land, CN bestowed the honor of its naming to Mrs. Winslow. She named it after the Dacotah tribe of native Americans from her home state of North Dakota.
Over the 12 years that the Winslow family was in Dacotah, Mr. Winslow was instrumental in developing drainage, roads, a school district, bringing in telephones, and a grocery store.
The Qually and Broten families also emigrated from the United States to Dacotah in 1899. These pioneers of Norwegian descent founded a large company farm, helped to found the Bethlehem Lutheran Church, and started a baseball club. In the 114 years since, many descendants of the Qually and Broten families remain in the area and contribute to the vibrancy of their community.
Dacotah once had its own school, hardware store, grocery store, post office and grain elevator. Today, this small settlement just south of the Trans-Canada Highway, midway between Elie and St. Francois Xavier, is a residential hamlet surrounded by fertile farmland and beautiful prairie skies.
Fun fact: The Dacotah hardware store has been partially restored as a museum and is designated a historic building.
☐ ☐ ☐
The Treasures of Time Municipal History Book was completed in 1984 and a second book is now being worked on to complete the 100 years. The book will be sold at the end of 2014. Your contributions of stories are needed to make the book a success and may be submitted to email@example.com or dropped off at the RM of Cartier municipal office. Information contributed by Estelle Thornson and Marilisa Voth.