The countdown begins …
2014 marks the 100th year since the incorporation of the Rural Municipality of Cartier, and events are being planned to celebrate this occasion. Reserve the weekend of June 13 and 14, 2014 to attend this 100th birthday of Cartier. During this countdown to the centennial celebration, articles will be printed in The Headliner to highlight various aspects of the RM of Cartier —past, present and future.
Watch this space for more highlights about Cartier!
☐ ☐ ☐
How Elie began...
Elie started in 1890 as a flag stop for the CN Railway. Originally known as "De Tank", because of the large water tank used to fill the steam engines, the area did not receive its official name until Aug. 1, 1898 when the first post office was established.
In the meantime the area was called a variety of names including Patenaude (after a Hudson’s Bay land agent), as well as Dufresne, after Elie Dufresne, who built the town’s first church, convent and school.
Because there was a location east of Winnipeg already known as Dufresne, this caused some confusion, so Elie was chosen as the town’s official name.
The town remains one of the central hubs of the municipality today. Besides the municipal office, there is a school, church, recreation facilities, financial institution, businesses and a strong residential base in the town.
Fun fact: Some records attribute the town’s name to Elie Chamberlain, a merchant of the times, but most attribute the name to Elie Dufresne, whose ancestors still live in Elie today.
The Treasures of Time Municipal History Book was completed in 1984 and a second book is now being worked on. Your contributions of stories are needed to make the book a success and may be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org or dropped off at the RM of Cartier office.