Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 5/9/2013 (1053 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
The countdown begins …
2014 marks the 100th year since the incorporation of the Rural Municipality of Cartier and events are being planned to celebrate this occasion. Reserve the weekend of June 13 and 14, 2014 to attend this 100th birthday of Cartier. During this countdown to the Centennial Celebration, articles will be printed in The Headliner to highlight various aspects of the RM of Cartier –—past, present and future.
Watch this space for more highlights about Cartier!
☐ ☐ ☐
The settlement/parish now known as St. Eustache began in the early 1800s on the north side of the Assiniboine River in the Baie St. Paul area, where Highways 26 and 248 meet.
Early flooding conditions justified a move to the south side of the river in 1852-53, where the town stands today.
The Catholic Church was the centre of the community in those early days, so much so that after the community moved south, the church was moved piece by piece across the river, through marsh land and mud bogs.
It was reassembled in the new town site by the one that remains today. The church
received bells from France in 1924, which have been designated a historical monument.
Early settlers of St. Eustache were of French and Métis descent although today the population is very diverse. The community hosts a Catholic church, French immersion school, year-round recreation facility, businesses, and senior housing.
Information from Treasures of Time — contributed by Estelle Thornson and Marilisa Voth
FUN FACT: St. Eustache is the patron saint of hunters and this name was chosen as a tribute to the Métis families which made up a large part of the community.
The Treasures of Time Municipal History Book was completed in 1984 and a second book is now being worked on to complete the 100 years. The book will be sold at the end of 2014. our contributions of stories are needed to make the book a success and may be submitted to
email@example.com or dropped off at the RM of Cartier municipal office.