Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 6/1/2015 (898 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
The collection of artifacts continues to grow at the St. Vital Museum with the addition of several books of Manitoba and Canadian statutes once owned by Victor Mager.
The books date back to 1886, three years after Victor became reeve of the Rural Municipality of St. Boniface which, in 1903, became the R.M. of St. Vital to end confusion with the Town of St. Boniface.
Mager arrived in Red River at 10 years of age with his family in 1859, following a gruelling trip from Lorraine, France. Once here, his family settled on, and later donated, land where the St. Boniface Hospital is located.
Mager grew up to become Mr. Everything in St. Vital — landowner; school trustee; market gardener; reeve and councillor for an area that stretched from Brady Road in the West to Lagimodiere Boulevard in the East.
In 1900, Mager jotted a brief history of his life, a copy of which is on display at the museum. The original was donated to the Provincial Archives of Manitoba for safekeeping in climate-controlled conditions.
In his diary, Mager recalls arriving at Upper Fort Garry to hear the execution of Thomas Scott by firing squad. He also dispels the rumour that Scott was still alive when placed into his coffin as Mager witnessed a man lean over the body and shoot again.
☐ ☐ ☐
After months of delay, repairs to the concrete floor in the bay area of the 100-year-old St. Vital fire hall are set to begin. The construction will see removal of the floor and concrete beams and assure the fire hall will be around for another century.
Plans are to expand the St. Vital Museum across the whole main floor, more than doubling the current display area.
The current board/work/display room, located in what was once Magistrate’s Court, will move into the quarters once occupied by the paramedics. This will allow the museum to add several display cases obtained from the Winnipeg Police Museum plus the expansion of the military display, which will include the names of all 58 servicemen who died in the Second World War.
During construction, the museum will remain open Saturdays from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. Special group tours may be arranged by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow us on Facebook/st.vital museumandhistoricalsociety or on the web at www.svhs.ca.
Bob Holliday is a community correspondent for St. Vital. Email him at email@example.com