Canstar Community News - ONLINE EDITION

Aren’t pants supposed to be practical?

• Print

At what point in our North American culture did we decide pants didn’t need to be practical?

I recently had the opportunity to watch three young people while I was waiting for a bus. They all wore different baseball caps with the brims turned up like a duckbills and the price tag still on. They also wore different styles of T-shirts, if you consider cut, ripped and rags a fashion statement. What fascinated me the most was they were wearing pants with the crotch at the knees.

To accomplish the crotch-to-knee fashion statement, the pants looked to be about four sizes too big. Since the waist had extra space, the young man wore three pairs of underwear to fill the gap. The undergarments were strategically placed to align each waist band further up his torso. Striped boxer, silks and briefs. This concept of wearing underwear as outwear is new to me. I was always told "Go puts some cloths on" if I tried watching Saturday morning cartoons in my underwear.

Every time the duckbilled, baggy pants, three briefs ragamuffin moved, his pants fell further down to his knees. This required him to use a hand to keep pulling them up. His would position his legs like outriders and walk like he soiled his drawers. At most, he could take two steps before he needed to pull his pants up. What didn’t make sense was his wardrobe included a wide belt, with unused holes.

I always assumed pants had practical value. On Sundays as a kid, I was required to wear a different pair of pants that made me itch. For the longest time I called pants that itched Sunday pants. Belts were optional except with itchy pants. No matter what pants I wore they always fit.

Some kids had extra layers of material at the knees. If the pants got ripped or torn, they had to be mended or you didn’t wear them again. If you did, you might suffer the wrath of a mother who was told her child was poorly dressed.

I asked my daughter about this sagging, crotch-to-knee style of pants. She called them gangsta pants and suggested it was developed in prisons. One size fits all garb and no belts became prison chic. It moved from the prisons to become fashion for rap and hip-hop artists to make them seem more real. There you have it folks: Not being able to take more than two steps gives you street cred.

I wondered what does a person wearing gangsta pants do, if they order a coffee and a doughnut at Tim’s? They can’t have takeout. They would never get out the door because their hands would be to full to pull up their pants. If they eat in, they would have to make two trips to the table — one to carry the coffee and another trip for the doughnut.

I’m no fashion critic but I thought pants were suppose to be practical.

Sean Conway is a River Park South-based writer. Neighbourhood Forum is a readers’ column. If you live in The Lance area and would like to contribute to this column, contact jim.timlick@canstarnews.com.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

• Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

• Please indicate your source for the correct information.

• Yes

No

• This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

• Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

Readers' Choice Awards

Best Of Winnipeg Readers Survey

See the results of the 2014 Canstar Community News Best of Winnipeg Readers' Survey.

View Results

This Just In Twitter bird

Poll

The forecast says we're going to get a blast of warm weather, but we all know what's coming. Are you ready?

View Results