Canstar Community News - ONLINE EDITION

Friendships need to be nurtured

• Print

I have a sign on my door that says, "If you are coming to see me, come anytime. If you are coming to see my house, call first." While I would love to see you, if we have to wait until things are perfect at my house, we will probably have to wait a long time.

After attending a recent dinner party, I asked my hosts if they do this kind of thing often.

"Well, it is April," our female host said. "What happens in April?" I wondered. "The kids’ winter sports have finished and the summer ones haven’t started yet," was her reply. They do a lot of socializing in April.

An unusual invitation recently arrived in my inbox. "You are cordially invited to the grand opening of Marie’s bathroom!"

A strange invite, to be sure, but you have to know the background of this bathroom. Marie’s hubby tore it apart to remodel it — 13 years ago. Since then, they have had no shower, no mirror and have had to wash their hands in the bathtub. My most patient and somewhat saintly friend seized the moment and had this celebration to honour this auspicious occasion.

Sandwiched in between work and home obligations, our young kids and aging parents’ needs, trying to balance our relationships with our health and wellness, friends often end up waaay on the bottom of our to-do list. Soon you haven’t called Jackie in more than months and you haven’t had lunch with Sue since last year. And Deb, well if it weren’t for Facebook, you wouldn’t even know where she lives right now. Yikes! Time really is flying by.

This month I encourage you to pick up the phone and make that call (no, it’s not too late). I encourage you to let your friends know about causes that inspire you.

Your house doesn’t have to pass the white glove test (mine wouldn’t). Call them, and no, it hasn’t been too long. Planned is better than perfect.

It doesn’t matter if it’s a long evening or a short get together. Go out for some fun or stay in — who cares — just connect. Planned is better than procrastination.

Celebrate some crazy (or imaginary) reason, have fun, the video camera works on other days besides birthdays. Planned is better than postponed.

There will always be a reason not to get together with your girlfriends, but there is only one reason to — because you need to be nurtured and so do your friendships.
Start today.

Stephanie Staples is a St. Vital-based writer and life coach. You can visit her website at www.yourlifeunlimited.ca.

Neighbourhood Forum is a readers’ column. If you live in The Lance area and would like to contribute to this column, contact jim.timlick@canstarnews.com.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

• Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

• Please indicate your source for the correct information.

• Yes

No

• This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

• Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

Readers' Choice Awards

Best Of Winnipeg Readers Survey

See the results of the 2014 Canstar Community News Best of Winnipeg Readers' Survey.

View Results

This Just In Twitter bird

Poll

Are you concerned about West Nile Virus?

View Results