Canstar Community News - ONLINE EDITION

Helping unite mind, body and spirit

• Print

The first time I tried yoga was over 12 years ago when I was pregnant and uncomfortable being on my back, my side, my anything!

It was my idea to join a yoga class and two of my friends humored me and came too. We went, and spent most of the time in our class laughing at my inability to do any of the poses, for fear of falling forward on my belly. My favorite part was at the end, when we got to lay on our backs in silence: shavasana. Once, during shavasana, I think I actually dosed off!

A good feeling stayed with me, though. When my daughter was two years old, I tried again, keeping with it on and off for the next several years. Now I actually practice yoga. I do believe there is a difference between doing yoga and practicing yoga. Back then, I did yoga, I bought a book, and was quite comfortable being in the poses. Now I attend a yoga class at my community club three times a week, and I can say I practice yoga.

Yoga is so much more than just going to a class, and doing the poses. It is about living a lifestyle, training your mind, knowing the confines of your body, and letting go of the fear that keeps you from limiting yourself. Yoga unites mind, body and spirit.

Practicing yoga, allows for limitless possibilities for growth and self awareness.  When I am working on a difficult pose, and I begin to shake and feel like I want to tumble to the ground, I look inward, and I learn patience and forgiveness and strength of my mind and body. I breathe out, and I am amazed when I can actually go deeper into the pose. Don’t get me wrong. When I come out of my pose, I am happier than heck and give a sigh of relief, but I am so proud that my mind assisted my body in doing something I didn’t think was possible.

The physical benefits of practicing yoga include  better flexibility, muscle tone, strength and pain prevention. Some of the mental benefits of practicing yoga are mental calmness, stress reduction and body awareness.

I have to say, one of the best aspects of my yoga class, is the connection made with the other ladies. When someone falls over, we laugh; when the instructor thanks us for our energy, we smile at each other; when one of us blurts out the pose seems impossible to do because our boobs are in the way, the interruption is often a welcomed one!

There are many health benefits to practicing yoga, but let’s not overlook the one that helps our sometimes small world a better place — strangers who come together to improve their health and end up friends. I encourage you to take a look in your neighborhood, find a class being offered, grab a friend, or go it alone.

Tannis Ross is a St. Vital-based writer.

Neighbourhood Forum is a readers’ column. If you live in The Lance area and would like to contribute to this column, contact jim.timlick@canstarnews.com.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

• Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

• Please indicate your source for the correct information.

• Yes

No

• This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

• Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

Readers' Choice Awards

Best Of Winnipeg Readers Survey

See the results of the 2014 Canstar Community News Best of Winnipeg Readers' Survey.

View Results

This Just In Twitter bird

Poll

Are you concerned about West Nile Virus?

View Results