Canstar Community News - ONLINE EDITION

Hockey Night in Island Lakes continues in the spring

• Print

As winter winds down, in some ways it will be sad to see it go.

Don’t get me wrong — I’ve had my fill of it but as the ice and snow melts, it takes with it a magic that brings a smile to my face every time I drive by a frozen pond.

There’s something special about seeing the array of home-made hockey rinks on most iced-over ponds in Island Lakes.

The dedication to keep these rinks clear and ready on any given day is inspirational. Some rinks are so elaborate they have lights for playing at night.

The games are unstoppable and teach kids a very vital lesson in life — that is, that it is possible to play despite all obstacles, even  the cruel winter elements. Whether there’s a wind chill advisory, blowing snow, and even in -30C weather, kids of all ages can be found playing hockey.

Every time I drive by a rink I eagerly search for players. Same goes for the backyard man-made rinks that aren’t visible but can be heard as the clank of sticks, the scratch of skate blades on ice and the odd victory chant echo between the houses.

This is where it starts. Every child dreams of becoming the best hockey player there ever was. I have always admired the parents who get up early on weekends, earlier than they normally would get up during the week, just to make sure their sons or daughters get to practice on time.

I know from experience that getting my kids up during the school week is next to impossible, I can’t imagine the kids who have to get up at 4 a.m. for practices or tournaments.

Yes, hockey is always alive and well in Island Lakes. Winter disappears but hockey never really does.

As soon as the grass is uncovered it will be decorated with red hockey nets, resting curbside, ready to be taken onto the street in the blink of an eye.

Has the return of the Jets fuelled the dreams of the kids who play hockey year-round or is it the camaraderie that drives the kids to play?

It’s hard to say, but it sure is nice to see that the kids of today believe in something that will  help form the core values and foundation for the adults of tomorrow.

Jasmine van Gerwen is a community correspondent for Island Lakes. She can be reached at jasvangerwen@shaw.ca.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

• Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

• Please indicate your source for the correct information.

• Yes

No

• This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

• Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

Fall Arts Guide

We preview what’s new and what’s coming up in Winnipeg’s new arts season

View our Fall Arts Guide

Readers' Choice Awards

Best Of Winnipeg Readers Survey

See the results of the 2014 Canstar Community News Best of Winnipeg Readers' Survey.

View Results

This Just In Twitter bird

Poll

Northwest Winnipeg may be getting a new subdivision with homes for 5,400 people. Do you think it’s a good idea?

View Results