Canstar Community News - ONLINE EDITION

What’s in a name?

• Print

"What’s in a name?" decries Juliet in Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet.

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

Words.

With tongue in cheek, and on a much less lofty scale, let’s look at the words in the title of The Lance’s forum pages. Our editor notifies us that Neighborhood Forum has become Community Forum. What is the difference between them? Each moniker implies an area we can associate with. Are they the same? Perhaps the difference is that each of us can now write about any part of the larger community of Winnipeg. Or even of Manitoba, or beyond.

This same email also lists the timetable we are to follow. It means I, for one, have six days left in which to file a story. But search my brain as I would for a topic, all I could come up with is the new forum title’s wording described above, and my scramble into the larger community of movies to be featured at Academy Awards Feb. 24 — my preoccupation lately.

It hasn’t been easy. Saturdays and Sundays (and in some cases, Mondays) are the only days with movie showings starting between 12:15 and 1 p.m. When you live in an Assisted Living residence, you don’t want to miss out on the dinners provided — they start at 4 p.m. Nor do you want to be driving home during rush-hour or after dark. So you wait for the weekends, and this is limiting.

Still, I’ve managed recently to see Quartet and Argo and Amour in three days. Earlier, I’d seen Life of Pi and Lincoln and The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. And if I throw caution to the winds, I shall also spend one more afternoon watching Zero Dark Thirty, a movie reputed to show a lot of violence and brutality, in the hunt for Osama Bin Laden.

How the director, Kathryn Bigelow, handled the topic interests me, because there’s a lot of controversy over it these days: some would say because she’s a woman! It seems as though the whole world is included as "community" in these movie settings: India, Pakistan, Iran, U.S., England, France. Have I achieved my goal?

Now, in keeping with my parallel theme on "words," may I add an example closer to home? "Home" is the topic. As my friend Virginia and I drive down Dakota Street and our residence comes into view I’ll say, "There’s our home. Makes me feel warm inside — that’s what ‘HOME’ is about."

Virginia will always counter with "No, I don’t call it ‘home’ — it’s ‘the place where I live.’"

"To me, this is home," I insist, and we share a laugh over friendly banter.

Exact words to express exact thoughts matter to the two of us, just as they do to Shakespeare’s Juliet in the "rose" quotation. And just as they do to our editor, who thought  the  word "Community" was more appropriate in the Forum columns title. We welcome it.

Anne Yanchyshyn is a community correspondent for St. Vital.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

• Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

• Please indicate your source for the correct information.

• Yes

No

• This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

• Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

This Just In Twitter bird

Readers‘ Choice Awards

Best Of Winnipeg Readers Survey

Make your choice in the Canstar Community News‘ Best of Winnipeg Readers‘ Choice Awards

Vote Now

Poll

Do you think cameras should be allowed in Manitoba courtrooms?

View Results

View Related Story