Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 24/4/2013 (1254 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
2013 marks the 100th anniversary of Charleswood as an incorporated community.
The Charleswood Historical Society has initiated a Centennial Committee to honour the Centennial and invites all interested to join in this year-long celebration.
This year’s initiatives and activities will shake off the historic dust of the years, engaging the community in celebrating the past and embracing our future.
The Festivals and Celebrations team has planned a series of events such as pancake breakfasts, a car show, a possible children’s fair, an annual family picnic at Caron House and street festivals.
The recent fashion show featuring historical clothing was a sold-out event. They will also be welcoming all visitors to Caron House at "Doors Open Winnipeg" in May.
The Schools, Museums and Program team initiated a year-long series of historical presentations on various topics. Current plans include a living history presentation, special presentations for both elementary and high schools, special Charleswood Museum exhibits and artifact displays.
The Recognition and Monuments team will initiate special recognition for veterans, original settlers, and 100 Year Families.
Early in the 19th Century, Charleswood was the location of "The Passage" – a natural ford at the foot of Berkley Street – where the Assiniboine River was shallow enough to cross. The Passage, and the nearby Kelly’s Landing historic ferry location, are two unique historical sites designated as Legacy Projects by the Society.
The Trails and Habitats team will link us to the present and future, as they incorporate outdoor activity with the 100 km Challenge (by foot and canoe), special recognition of historic trails, namely the First Nations Tribute Trail, Old Pembina Trail, joining other Charleswood groups celebrating the Harte Trail and local horticultural history.
Join the Friends of the Harte Trail for a guided tour on May 6 at 7 p.m.
The Rural Municipality of Charleswood was incorporated in 1913. The name "Charleswood" has two probable sources of origin. One is that it was named for Charles Kelly, who served on the first municipal council. The other is that it is a combination of the Parish name "St. Charles" and the dense woodland that filled the area.
In celebrating this Centennial Year the Charleswood Historical Society has developed a Master Schedule of events as well as a historic Centennial Calendar.
I encourage you to visit the Charleswood Historical Society’s Centennial website at www.charleswoodhistoricalsociety.ca.
Watch for an increasing number of events as enthusiasm grows and the Centennial Year continues.