Canstar Community News - ONLINE EDITION
Tin for the Bin back with Bombers
Winnipeg Harvest's campaign moves to new stadium
One staple of the old Canad Inns Stadium that will be preserved is Winnipeg Harvest’s Tin for the Bin campaign.
"Cheer on the Winnipeg Blue Bombers at their pre-season game on Wednesday, June 12 at 7 p.m. as they kick the Toronto Argonauts," says a press release from Harvest.
Fans will be able to donate outside the new Investors Group Field stadium when they come to the game.
"There’s the four gates, and when you walk up the stairs to enter the stadium, we will be situated just outside the gates," said Colleen McVarish, Harvest’s development manager.
Harvest spokesperson Chris Albi said its urgent appeal for food donations in May did bring a donation increase, but changing dynamics in spring and summer means the need remains high.
"It’s a pattern that we have, we start to become low on our top 10 items," Albi said.
People take holidays or turn their attentions to yard work or other outdoor activities, while at the same time meal/snack programs that ran during the school year come to an end, she said.
A list of top items needed represents "staple kids’ items," Albi said, which are essential for a balanced, nutritional diet.
"We want to make sure that we have those essential food kit items for the people who come in," she said.
Harvest says they feed nearly 64,000 Manitobans a month, almost half of which are children.
Harvest’s most wanted food items:
• Canned fish and poultry — tuna or salmon (packed in water) chicken or turkey
• Canned fruit and vegetables (packed in own juice)
• Canned stew, chili, baked beans
• Peanut butter
• Baby food (jars of chicken, beef, vegetables or fruit) Infant cereal such as
oatmeal, barley or rice
• Formula with added iron
• Whole grain pasta/whole wheat pasta
• Brown rice, converted or parboiled
• Canned spaghetti sauce or tomatoes
• Dry cereal — high fibre, non-sugar coated
• Canned soup - lentil, pea, vegetable
More The Metro
More The Metro
(1 of 23 articles for this week)12/11/2013 1:07 PM 0
This Just In
Must Have Menus
Ads by Google