Canstar Community News - ONLINE EDITION

Restaurant now a neighbourhood fixture

• Print

Years ago, Silver Heights residents were not able to walk or drive a short distance, in order to meet up with neighbourhood friends and to be seated in a cozy booth in The Keg’s dimly lit lounge.

It wasn’t until Oct. 1, 2001, our community welcomed a beautifully constructed restaurant at the corner of Moray Boulevard and Portage Avenue. Eleven years later we still become excited to walk, bike or drive to meet good friends and share a great meal.

Owner Gord Howard had the vision and knew St. James would welcome his restaurant with open arms. He counts Silver Heights Restaurant as a great steak competitor, and although both entertain local residents with great experiences, The Keg did fill a need in our neighbourhood.

Countless laughs and endless storytelling have been shared while we sipped our glasses of white wine, martinis and cold beer. Most nights a hand can been seen raised in the lounge, to wave at the sight of a friend or acquaintance entering the room. Smiles are in good supply under The Keg’s roof.

Recently renovated, the restaurant’s ownership has taken into consideration our freezing weather and has added a warm and inviting fireplace to its entrance. They kicked-it-up-a notch with the decor on the inside and the menu won’t disappoint your taste buds.

When I was looking for a location to put my indoor skateboard park 11 years ago, I quickly realized I had chosen the exact same place as Gord Howard. Remember Econo Mart? Remember taking a marker and writing your own price on the can goods before checking out?

Good times.

Sorry, but I digress. My point is that I am glad I found another location and am thrilled that Mr. Howard chose to make our neighbourhood his restaurant’s home.

Aside from a great dining experience, many may not know that The Keg also has a foundation called The Keg Spirit Foundation. Its largest beneficiary is Big Brothers and Big Sisters. I was thrilled to learn this as I have been a huge supporter of this program for many years. The Keg also supports youth charities such as The Ladybug Foundation Education Program.

So Silver Heights residents, the next time you meander down to meet friends and family at our very own Keg restaurant, keep in mind that not only are you enjoying great moments but you are helping to support great causes that effect your own community. Good on ya!

Virginia Sperl is a Silver Heights-based writer.

Neighbourhood Forum is a readers’ column. If you live in The Metro area and would like to contribute to this column, contact jim.timlick@canstarnews.com.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

• Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

• Please indicate your source for the correct information.

• Yes

No

• This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

• Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

Fall Arts Guide

We preview what’s new and what’s coming up in Winnipeg’s new arts season

View our Fall Arts Guide

Readers' Choice Awards

Best Of Winnipeg Readers Survey

See the results of the 2014 Canstar Community News Best of Winnipeg Readers' Survey.

View Results

This Just In Twitter bird

Poll

Northwest Winnipeg may be getting a new subdivision with homes for 5,400 people. Do you think it’s a good idea?

View Results