Canstar Community News - ONLINE EDITION

Sounds of construction will be golden

• Print

It’s going to be noisy in Silver Heights for the next little while.

And no, I am not talking about the planes flying above our rooftops. I am talking about new buildings replacing old ones, new jobs becoming available and new faces being welcomed to our community.

The year 2007 saw the end of a 50-year stretch for Silver Heights Collegiate. It amalgamated a short time later with Sturgeon Creek  Collegiate to become Sturgeon Heights Collegiate. The walls of Silver Heights have now fallen and tractors are rolling over the former school grounds.

For the past few years, there has been much talk about what building would be going into the deep hole that lay empty for some time, only to be surrounded by numerous dandelions. Now, after the red tape and zoning permits have finally been dealt with, the new phoenix is slowly beginning to rise from the ashes (literally, if you remember that poor Silver Heights Collegiate was a victim of arson shortly after closing its doors).

GreenTree Homes has announced construction of a 152-unit condominium complex. Since I am a firm believer that change is good, I’m excited for this construction in our area. I think the location will be wonderful for neighbourhood businesses such as Shoppers Drug Mart and Boston Pizza. GreenTree has a great reputation for providing curb-side appeal in its buildings, which in turn will increase the value of our homes.

On a personal level, maybe when my husband Gerald and I retire within the next 10 years, and downsize in order to travel (yes, I have a dream), a spiffy condo right down the street will be the perfect fit for us. And maybe I can convince my good friends and neighbours to join us and continue the party on our condo balconies.

Now that we have become accustomed to our newest neighbour, Tim Hortons (although we still have some hiccups to resolve when it comes to traffic on the corner of Mount Royal Road and Ness Avenue), more sounds from the construction world will be heard and felt as a new strip mall is in the plans to replace Silver Heights Community Club.

R.V. Realty Inc. recently announced plans for a chic new strip mall that will house nine units. Future tenants may include a doctor or dentist, physiotherapist, law office or financial services company.

For now, I can handle the noise and disruption. To me that is the sound of progress and success for our city and our community.

Virginia Sperl is a Silver Heights-based writer.

Neighbourhood Forum is a readers’ column. If you live in The Metro area and would like to contribute to this column, contact jim.timlick@canstarnews.com.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

• Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

• Please indicate your source for the correct information.

• Yes

No

• This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

• Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

Readers' Choice Awards

Best Of Winnipeg Readers Survey

See the results of the 2014 Canstar Community News Best of Winnipeg Readers' Survey.

View Results

This Just In Twitter bird

Poll

Are you concerned about West Nile Virus?

View Results