Canstar Community News - ONLINE EDITION
New lights for Fort Garry field
The Fort Garry Lions and 17 other local projects in southwest Winnipeg are receiving a total of $400,000 in funding from the provincial government.
Premier Greg Selinger was at the Fort Garry Lions Football Club Thurs., Aug. 22 along with local MLAs, football club president Wes Mueller, and a group of Lions players.
"The projects announced today are about better opportunities for children and families to engage in healthy outdoor recreation, giving them a positive outlet for their energy and providing a focus for family entertainment," said Selinger in a release.
The funding will help the field install much-needed lighting so players can play and practise into the night, said Mueller.
"Another thing here is safety, there’s a concern here that when you have that many kids on the field at one time, with the lighting we had, you could only use about two thirds of (the field)," said Mueller in a interview. "So when it gets darker we’re compressing all the kids into one area."
Other organizations receiving funding include:
• École LaVérendrye Parent Advisory Council for enhancing the school’s gymnasium.
• Earl Grey Community Centre for upgrading an outdoor building.
• Osborne Village BIZ for a mural on the side of the Gas Station Theatre.
• Westdale Community Centre for paving its outdoor rink.
• Churchill High school Parent Advisory Council for upgrades to digital signage.
• Royal Canadian Legion Fort Garry Branch #90 for parking lot resurfacing.
• Earl Grey School Parent Advisory Council for upgrades to school grounds.
• Red River Métis Group for repairing Red River carts.
• Charleswood Curling Club for replacing ice surface roof and refrigeration piping.
• Fort Rouge Co-op Day Nursery for creating a nature-based playground.
• École Viscount Alexander School Ground Transformation Committee for an outdoor classroom.
• St. Norbert Immersion Parent advisory council for school yard improvements.
• St. Norbert BIZ for installation of recreational public seating.
• St. Avila Home and School Association for installation of a bike cage.
• Assiniboine Park Conservancy for Terry Fox Trail redevelopment.
• Manitoba Paddling Association for upgrading its geothermal system.
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
More The Sou'wester
More The Sou'wester
(1 of 5 articles for this week)07/28/2014 8:15 AM 0
The Winnipeg Police Service is warning community members about scams targeting seniors.
In a news release, officials say grandparent ...
This Just In
Ads by Google